free website stats program exhaust gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

exhaust gaskets

saintNH

I just removed the stock pipes from my 01 fatboy to put on a used 2 into 1 i bought from someone that said it would fit. When I pulled the stock pipes I saw that the face of the pipe where it fits into the exhaust port is tapered and so is the gasket. On the new pipe the face is flat. Can I get gaskets that are flat to replace these and make the new pipe fit or is this possibly the wrong pipe for the bike. The pipe lines up perfectly except for that.

There are at least two types of exhaust gaskets. One is a steel mesh type, and the other is a tapered asbestos fiber looking. I prefer the mesh on the flat type headers, but have used the other with no problems. Just tighten each side, and the rest of the exh. system down slowly. Don't overtorque the bolts, the last thing you want is a broken stud in the head.

So you can use either the flat or the tapered gasket with either exhaust style? good to know. The gaskets that are in there now are tapered, but I think it would be better to use the flat gaskets on the flat pipe just because it will make a better seal.

Stock are tapered on the ID, flat on the OD. When I did mine I puzzeld at it for a while... like where are they? Had to dig at the stock gaskets to get them out. Then used flat/flat gaskets that came with the Basanni pipes. No leaks!

Back