free website stats program Exhaust Gaskets | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Gaskets

JPHarley

Here's my situation....hope someone can help.
I installed Vance & Hines Big Radius on my 09 Dyna Low Rider. When I took the old pipes off I did not see any exhaust gaskets. Since the bike was new, less than 1200 miles I figured that I could maybe use the old ones. I couldn't find them. I looked in the old pipes...not there. I installed the new pipes and they worked fine. But reading on this site I found that one should always put new exhaust gaskets when installing new pipes so I ordered a set. Today I took my rear pipe off and looked again for an old gasket...nothing. Not inside the engine, not inside the old pipes. The gaskets I ordered were Part # 65324-83B. My question is...is this the right part number for my bike? I don't have a parts manual. They seem small. It says in the service manual "Replacement exhaust gaskets
(38) are tapered internally. Be sure the thin end goes over
the exhaust pipe. Also check condition of retaining ring"
Well the pipe is bigger around than the gasket so I was thinking maybe the Harley shop sent the wrong gasket. Anybody know the part number for the exhaust gaskets for my bike. 2009 FXDL.
Thanks,
JP

The gasket gets "squished" pretty good in there and it's hard to tell. It almost looks like part of the engine. I'd be surprised if there was no gasket from the get go.

I would think it would leak pretty bad with no gasket as said they are in there pretty good

the gasket is like a bundle of wire that gets pushed into the head with the thick part into the head and the tapered part out to the exhaust flange, once in they are difficult to spot specially if the bike has been run they look like part of the head :D
how many miles on the bike when you replaced the pipes? reason i ask is up to about 2500 you should be ok.
if they are small they are for the exhaust cross over where the stock mufflers/slipons fit and they are one use only crush gasket

I had less that 2000 miles on the bike when I changed them. I guess I will look closer tomorrow to see if I can see them...my bike has about 2200 miles on it now.

The gaskets are kinda soft, when you get your pipes off or outa the way you should be able to "feel" them with a thumb nail or something. To get them out you'll prolly have to ruin them and pull 'em out with needle nose piers.

I had less that 2000 miles on the bike when I changed them. I guess I will look closer tomorrow to see if I can see them...my bike has about 2200 miles on it now.

If the gaskets are NOT in there, you will have very a very sharp bored profile in the heads, NOT a rounded profile. The rounded profile is actually the crush gaskets.

TQ

Well I guess they are in there then because it is not sharp around the edges. I think I'll just put the one pipe I took off back on then.
As always thanks so much for the advise everybody. It is very much appreciated.
JP

Back