free website stats program Exhaust Flange Nut Loose | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Flange Nut Loose

turnerbend

While checking exhaust system found the exhaust flange nuts loose. How do I get to them to tighten the nuts? Should I replace the gaskets? I think the exhaust was leaking because I had a lot of decel poping at times. I have Rineharts true duals. Help.

While checking exhaust system found the exhaust flange nuts loose. How do I get to them to tighten the nuts? Should I replace the gaskets? I think the exhaust was leaking because I had a lot of decel poping at times. I have Rineharts true duals. Help.

Throw away the stock nuts and replace them with grade 8 nuts and lock washers or double nut them with some anti sieze torque them to 10 ft lbs:s

JMO ---- go ahead and replace the gaskets, Your already there and I'm guessing its for the 07 ultra which is almost 5 yrs old with the oem gaskets.You also stated that you have had some decel pop going on.

If you have 1/4" drive ratchet, extension and sockets, you can usually get these on the nuts. Spray them with PB Blaster, let sit, spray again and then try snugging them up "handy". Get a second nut for both studs and use them as a lock nuts. See if that takes care of your decel pop, but that may need a fueler especially if it that just developed after changing pipes.

If that does not work, you may be forced to change out the gaskets. If so, check out the Cometic EST C9540. I have had good luck with them.

TQ

If you have heat shields fitted you may need to remove or move them to get sufficient access to the studs

Brian

I think you will also find that you can torque them to spec, then perform a couple of engine heat cycles and they will now measure a lot less. (again & again)
Drove me crazy. Finally just double nut them as Jack said and things are now fine.

Back