free website stats program Exhaust Dust on Cylinder | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust Dust on Cylinder

Drumrguy

Account Removed
So I was cleaning my bike tonight, I mean a good cleaning, when I noticed that on the front of the front cylinder underneath the exhaust port that I had some what appears to be exhaust carbon, I got worried and thought that my head gasket was leaking, so I cleaned everything real good, no oil anywhere, I also wiped the fin of the cylinder with my finger and it had no oil in it, it was just exhaust carbon, maybe from the dyno runs? I ran the bike, I got no leaks, wondering if the dealer replaced a bad exhaust gasket, I never noticed that before. Anyone had this happen on their scooter?

First of all I dont think the dealer is just going to replace a gasket and not charge you for it .Might want to try and tighten the the front pipe to the cylinder.

Already loosened them and retightened them. My bike has been back to the dealer several times for a couple problems, so they said they found a problem with the idle, which is another story, but somehow my bike was fixed when I picked it up and rode it home yesterday. So they fixed something but did not admit to it. So in my case yes they also put shocks on my bike at no cost, and did some other things at no charge. I got the G.M. involved and they ate everything on my bike for me.

Thats awesome!!! I wish my dealer would treat me like that.I went through a similar problem with my IAC and had to get a custom MAP on my SERT to fix the problem.Of course that was after several trips to the dealer and $$$ before they fixed it.

I had the same problem, when your IAC went bad what were the symptoms of your bike. My dealer was not so willing to fix the bike, but I kept taking it back since I just bought it and told them to fix it or keep it. They fixed it. I had a stalling problem.

Same issues. I would go out and ride at speed and no problems but when I came back into town and hit some lights the bike would begin to drop rpms and I would have to hold the throttle to keep from stalling. The problem got worse and of course I would take it to the dealer and it would not do it for them until one day it started and I rode it in and it stalled right in front of them and you cuold hear it whistle at idle.I had it on the dyno before that and they said there was no problem.Like I said a very similar situation to yours.

Exactly the same even down to not doing it for them. I fought with them since Aug. 17th until Monday, and they finally just fixed it. They knew there was a problem, when I went to the salesman that I bought it from, got the sales manager involved, who rode it and it stalled on him, to the G.M. amazingly my problem got fixed. I should not have had to do that, but sometimes you have to go over peoples heads. I am not like that, but I paid for a bike with no problems and that is what I wanted and expected.

Is it dust or rust Had a similar problem from exhaust nuts loose and riding in the rain

No, it was dust, I was able to wipe it right off. I hear you Smitty, I took them both loose, and tightened them the way the service manual tells you to. I did this last night because that is when I noticed it, put on about 200 miles today, no problems, so I am going to Harley this week to get new gaskets, but anyways, I had absolutely no problems with the bike today. I still say the dealer found something and just will not admit to me, but whatever, it is running flawlessly. I am a happy Harley owner again. :bigsmiley12:

So I thought I would change the exhaust gaskets since I found the dust on my cylinder, go to Harley, they recommend the Screaming Eagle ones over the stock tapered style, ok cool, get home pull the whole exhaust system off, clean everything really good while it is all apart, put it all back together, start it up, and wow, exhaust leak, so now I gotta pull the exhaust back off and put the tapered exhaust gaskets back in. Must be something with my heads since they are not stock. I guess I should have pulled them apart first and put in what I took out, but I thought they would work. So there is my job for tonight again. Thank God it did not take long to do and really was not that easy. But that is just my luck with how things go. Ok, going to work, anyone who reads this have a great day.

Back