Exhaust considerations

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by Cuzz, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Cuzz

Cuzz Member

Hello to all from a new "kid" on the block. I have an 08 FLHTC w/ 22K miles and have been throwing around the idea of changing the exhaust for quite some time. I've done a ton of reading on this, but these are some of my "unknowns." Does an 08 (non-California) have a catalytic converter?
    Are true duals the best way to get both cylinders matched as equally as possible? Is there any combination of pipes / muffllers that decrease the longevity of the engine? I could go on, but I'd appreciate all thoughts on these for a starter.

2. Biffy08

Biffy08 Active Member

Good question Cuzz. I'll jump on your wagon because my 08 has 17K with V+H slip-ons and a Power Commander and I also like the true dual look but don't want to "junk" up the bike with something that will decrease longevity. I am interested in hearing what everyone has to say.

3. R_W_B

R_W_B Senior Member

Grabbed these off another forum. (similar question)
    ---
    I believe all the 2009 CVO Touring bikes.
    ---
    All touring models in all 50 States in 2010.
    ---
    Yup, pretty sure your 08 Cal model has a cat. There were a few years they had cat's in the slip ons themselves....I think yours is one of them.
    ---
    My 06 SE Ultra, CA bike, had Cats in the mufflers.
    ---
    Correct The CVO Baggers had cats in the muffler inlets from 06 through 08.
    ---

4. Turk55

Turk55 Active Member

Have a set of Supertrapp pipes you mite like, selling for almost half price

Attached Files:

5. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

True duals will not cause any problems as long as you have the air/fuel ratio adj. (see Dobeck). For the best performance a two into one exhaust is the way to go, you will also need to be able to adj. the A/F ratio. For me nothing beats the sound of true duals.

6. Quckthrotl

Quckthrotl Member

d and d fat cat 2 into 1 is awsome good sound and performance. of course ya ya need to remap and a high flow air claener

7. Biffy08

Biffy08 Active Member

Hey thanks to all for your input! And to Cuzz for kicking it off!:D

8. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

1.) Are you trying to increase sound or overall performance.
    2.) If just changing mufflers nothing over 1.75" baffle and good to go.
    3.) Wanting true duals is great, and if going that route why not add Stage 1 air cleaner and then you will definitely need a fueler.
    TFI Tuner From Dobeck Discounted (NEW OFFER) - Harley Davidson Community
    4.) Proper research = long term satisfaction......:s

9. Cuzz

Cuzz Member

I appreciate all the replies.

10. donee2shu

donee2shu Member

My 2008 Ultra came with cat in the slip-ons. They have been replaced with FullSac duals kit and SuperTrapp SE slip-ons. Also have Ness Big sucker intake. Lastly, a 103 ci Harley download. The gal runs like a spotted cat and no pinging, knocking, or otherwise negative indications are present. It has not been dynoed and I don't intend to do so. For what that is worth!!!!