free website stats program Exhaust chrome preservation | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust chrome preservation

TomH65

I recently changed my pipes for some V&H pipes. After only 2 months of various wet / dry weather conditions, I have noticed a little rusting on the weld near the fixing bracket. The pipes themselves are clean.
Anyone got any ideas of what I can put on the welded area to prevent rusting?
I will be putting the bike away for 3 months at the end of November for the winter. Any advice on preservation during storage in a cold damp (sometimes) garage?

Cheers,
Tom

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with the V&H exhaust. I have used their products in the past and have not had a problem. You might try giving them a call to see if they will take care of your situation. That being said I would think that if you took a small stiff brush to the area and then sealed the area with a rust inhibiting silver paint you should be good to go. Over here we have BBQ grill paint that I would use.

S100 used to sell a rust-preventative spray that will seal out any moisture. I bought two cans a few years ago, and spray the backs of accessories when I install them so they don't start rusting from behind.

I agree with HDDon on this one. Give V&H a call and see if it's covered under warranty. I believe they have a 1 year on exhausts. Good luck.

There are oil sprays to keep tools from rusting that can work also, but I'm not certain about the heat issue there. Me, I always first give anything I install two coats of good Carnuba wax, along with regular cleaning, waxing or quickwaxing - seems to work, I've never had one spot of rust.

Back