free website stats program Exhaust bluing | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust bluing

tjohn005

I have a 02 RK Classic with a stage 1 kit and added a pair of thunderheader thunder cones and have put about 300 miles on them and noticed that the Right one is bluing or Yellowing, Should this be a major concern.

Ride hard or stay home.

could be a few things since you did a stage one first i'd pull a plug and see how lean you are running. the heat off a lean enginge can blue your pipe. if you have a stock exhaust (split rear pipe) then the left pipe is fairly decorative and the right takes most of the heat which is probably why it is turning and the other isnt. any way your fuel mixture is what i'd check first I'm sure Glider will have more suggestions for you as well.

I have a 02 RK Classic with a stage 1 kit and added a pair of thunderheader thunder cones and have put about 300 miles on them and noticed that the Right one is bluing or Yellowing, Should this be a major concern.

Ride hard or stay home.

All the header pipes that I have ever had on my bikes "blue" for the 8-12 inches from the heads. Not too surprising with you think of how hot the exhaust gases are coming out of the heads. Only solution I have found is heat shields to hide the bluing and give some VERY short warning to the errant inner thigh or calf!

TQ

Back