free website stats program Exhaust baffles | Harley Davidson Forums

Exhaust baffles

mbrown

I just installed a set of drag pipes on my 91 Softail and noticed that you can buy baffles. Stupid question but how are these installed? Most seem to have 1 screw at the end and I have no idea where these attach. Thanks for your help.

If there isn't a hole already...you'll need to drill one near the exit end of the pipe... somewhere around 2 inches from the end on the part of the pipe facing your motorcycle(so it doesn't show)

I just installed a set of drag pipes on my 91 Softail and noticed that you can buy baffles. Stupid question but how are these installed? Most seem to have 1 screw at the end and I have no idea where these attach. Thanks for your help.

Easiest solution is to measure the inner diameter of the straight portion of the pipes you want to use, typically range between 1 7/8" to 2 1/4" or if the hollowed out muffler end 2 1/4 to 4 " and order replacement baffles of the correct diameter, which range in price from $13.00 to >$80.00 for pair. It will be really hard to find the "sound" you want, but it will make the straight pipes more quiet, poor low end performance & de-accel problems will probably reduce or stop if you were experiencing this running straight pipes. :newsmile093:

You will have to drill a relatively inconspicuous hole in both pipes to bolt in the baffles, approx. 3-6" back from the opening using power center punch, short drill w/90 deg drill motor, lots of patience, magnetic long screwdriver and tape to get the bolt to line up & all the way thru, tighten the lockwasher & nut on the outside. Did I remember to say be patient?...Trust me, be cool...you will be fine. :newsmile04:

Check if you have a partial Stage I mod/setup, you may want to complete the rest, i.e. if the air cleaner is not stock, you definitely need to check if carb has been rejetted, the needle raised w/ #4 washer, idle mixture plug removed and adjusted 1 1/2 to 2 turns from seated following Gliders' & Hobbit's Tips regarding stage I mods. To check how you've done, complete doing fresh spark plug inspections/power "chops" to make sure all is well. Running lean with a partial Stage I is bad news for the longevity of the motor. Good Luck. :)

Last edited:
Back