free website stats program excessive vibes? | Harley Davidson Forums

excessive vibes?

I ride a Dyna so the only thing I know for sure about touring is what I read. But if I remember correctly the touring models (SG and RG) are rubber mounted like Dynas. Whereas the softails are hard mounted into the frame (Heritage etc). Touring/Dyna is an "A" motor. Softail is a "B" motor. "B" engines have extra counter rotating shafts inside to take care vibration.
That said I think they all vibrate at idle and unless drastic is normal, but as you get going (at least around town riding) the SG and RG should smooth out and not be excessive.

For rubber mounted bikes (Dyna/Touring) if you have done the top stabilizer adjustment and you corrected it more than 2 degrees difference. The manual says that this sometimes will cause excessive idle vibration. It says to loosen (not remove) your motor mount (front and rear isolators) bolts and then crank the engine and run for (I think it was 30 seconds). This allows the rubber mounts to adjust to the new position of the engine tilt. Then retorque the mount bolts.

I had an 05 Lowrider that had almost as much vibration as my Ironhead sportster. Not really but it was not what I expected. I tried to make the bike into a "Touring bike with saddle bags and windshield. The only time it was comfortable on the highway was turning 3000 rpm...worked out to 70 mph. I traded it in for a Honda st1300. Nice bike but not a Harley. Should have traded it in on the bike I have now...an 01 Heritage. The weather hasn't given me an oportunity to ride it much yet but I think it's going to be a lot better than the Lowrider.

Back