free website stats program Excessive primary fluid question | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Excessive primary fluid question

Jack, would it be best to just add the extra 6 oz so it had what it had before I drained it? The fluid is at the basket when on stand. When I originally took the inspection cover off, it was just about to overflow while on the jiffy stand.

Jack, would it be best to just add the extra 6 oz so it had what it had before I drained it? The fluid is at the basket when on stand. When I originally took the inspection cover off, it was just about to overflow while on the jiffy stand.

The only way to get the correct level is to have the bike upright when you check the oil level it is pretty normal for some oil to come out if bike is on the jiffy stand when the derby cover is removed

Brian

I would leave it @ 32 oz and see how it shifts

Shifted smooth as silk on the short ride I took her on. Weather turned cold and work has been NUTS. Should be able to get out in a few days, God willing... I'll let you know. Thanks again:D

Hi I am having same problem i have just picked up a 86 softail and thought i would do the oil changes as it was hard to get neutral and 3rd my mouth droped when i took the clutch cover off to find about 3 to 4 litres . reading your posts whats the best way to find the problem any help would be great thanks ...

Hi I am having same problem i have just picked up a 86 softail and thought i would do the oil changes as it was hard to get neutral and 3rd my mouth droped when i took the clutch cover off to find about 3 to 4 litres . reading your posts whats the best way to find the problem any help would be great thanks ...

If it were me I'd drain and refill the oils then watch to see if you are "losing" oil any where. Mind you, unless the seals are really bad it may take some time to identify the suspected leaker.

my service manual says 38 oz. for a change, 45 oz. when the cover is off for the '10. just had mine apart for a trans replacement. it took 45 and did not spill out. bike upright and level.

Take a look at my post #3...

That may help. I do agree to change oil in the engine /filter/primary/and while you are at it, the tranny.

IF you loose motor oil ; like a quart in riding, check the level of the primary... Bet it is there...

Note, checking your motor oil level after it runs for a 2 minutes ..Softails have a habit of letting oil go into the engine sump when setting for a while. some soon and some Sooner.

Don't blip the throttle just idle it for a little.

Best time to check oil IS after a ride, then you'll know the true level...

signed....BUBBIE

Back