free website stats program Excessive Fairing vibration... | Harley Davidson Forums

Excessive Fairing vibration...

Mavagrand

..on the left side. Noticed my fairing mounted mirror jumping all over the place. Took the outer fairing off (great time to clean the headlight housing) and found the bracket on the left sideis broken. I know this is common. I was hoping to temporarily fix it with duct tape or something but can't because the break is in the 90* angle right where the bracket is screwed into the fairing. What I did was take four or five zip ties, loop them over the broken piece still secured to the fairing and then, finding a hold down lower on the bracket threaded them through there. That was at least the bracket is not vibrating around in there.

My question, is there an option available to fix this besides ordering a bracket from the MOCO? dont have access to a machine shop so fabrication is not an option. How about JB weld ...would that hold?

Also I've noticed a subtle vibration in my floorboards. I've checked all the connectors, clamps and screws that I can. all seem tight. I've done nothing to the bike, this vibation just started about the same time as the fairing bracket. Could the fairing bracket cause vibration in the floorboards??

Best bet is to have the bracket repaired by welding some support(gusseting) reinforcement in the broken area. It's a common problem that maybe one day the MOCO will smarten up and do something about it. JB weld would only be a temp repair because of the vibrations and weight on this bracket.

There's a possibility that the broken bracket may be transmitting the vibrations to other parts of the bike but fix the broken bracket first and deal with the floor board after it is done if it's still there.

This may help: YouTube - Harley Fairing Bracket - Fairing Bracket Repair Kit | Bagger-Parts.com

With my experience the left side broke first and then a month and 900 miles later the right side broke. The Harley dealer replaced them and I asked if updated ones were being installed and was told that the MOCO has recently came out with a updated version and that were the ones being installed. As you can see from the video there is not alot to installing and correcting broken bracket. A very different story when replace whole bracket with updated version...
Might call Harley customer service and discuss your woe and if you are the original owner they may very likely cover the repair. That is what they did for me both times.

There are many bracket repair kits available on ebay. If you look at them, you can get an idea of how to make your own out of common shelf or "L" brackets avail at hardware stores.

Thanx for the input guys. It does appear to be an ez fix..gonna head to Ace hardware and buy some brackets..fix it myself.

let me know what you find outon the board vibration, my 07 just recently started this ands I broke 3 brakets... now I have a buzz in the floorboards and backrests that is driving me nuts

Seems like the same topics show up in different posts... LOL. I just commented about the video above... I just went to Home Depot and bought some heavy gauge angle brackets with side supports built in. Cost about $2 and I cut them to size, drilled holes into existing bracket frame, bolted it up and have been trouble free ever since.

Good luck! :)

Fixed the bracket! It was so easy it angers me to think how much the dealership charges to do this. I went to Lowes, bought a straight metal brace that had several holes drilled in it. The piece was about six inches long and 1/8 of an inch thick. took it to my shop, put one end about an inch into my vice and then hammered the remaining five inches down, forming 90* angle. I then placed the short bent end against the screw hole where the broken fairing was mounted. Marking the portion of the piece that hung over the old bracket, I then trimmed it with a hack saw. I now had a 90* bracket in the shape of an L with the long side about 2.5 inces long. I then drilled two hold in the factory bracket to mtch a couple of holes that were already present in the piece I bought from Lowes. Found a cople of screws, used locktite, screwed everything down tight. No more vibration in the fairing.
As a bonus, the slight vibration that was in my floorboards is gone now too. Having a good day.

Improvising your own fix on the bike feels good doesn't it? For CHEAP, makes it even better. :bigsmiley23:
Lowes brackets= $ beer money
Time in shop = quality time with bike
Knowing 40+ Thousand HDT members are backing you up = PRICELESS

Back