free website stats program Excessive Engine vibration | Harley Davidson Forums

Excessive Engine vibration

2007 Street glide stage 1 and slip ons other than that all stock. At 1500-2800 rpms vibration like crazy. yeas the fairing brackets have been replaced. any ideas where to start other than the dealer? front motor mount is good, everything seems to be tq to specs? i was wondering i have heard the the crank shafts on these only have a pin? wondering if to much crankshaft run out could be a cause? :small3d012: driving me crazy

No PIN in the cranks. Pressed fit only... A FEW do tend to un-align and go OUT and that causes a LOT of vibration, could break the oil-pump gerotors. as the crank wobbles inside the tight clearances of the oil pump...

IF it feels like totally in the engine, It should be checked. Look in the self help and see what is there.

IF you have no mechanical skills I'd take it to a shop and ask. get a $$ quote Before you allow them to tear into it.

signed....BUBBIE

2007 Street glide stage 1 and slip ons other than that all stock. At 1500-2800 rpms vibration like crazy. yeas the fairing brackets have been replaced. any ideas where to start other than the dealer? front motor mount is good, everything seems to be tq to specs? i was wondering i have heard the the crank shafts on these only have a pin? wondering if to much crankshaft run out could be a cause? :small3d012: driving me crazy

Has it always had this vib or is it something that just started happening?

At 1500-2800 rpms vibration like crazy.

I don't want to assume anything so I'll ask:

Does the vibration in this RPM range occur with the motor running and bike stationary or only when riding/moving and you go into this RPM range?

What was the last thing done to the bike? Is it possible that something (bolt,etc) got dropped and is between the engine and frame? Look for the easy stuff, then on to the expensive.

Check the front motor mount to make sure the elastomer has not broke from the metal. Make sure the link at the top of the engine, and front of the engine is attached at both ends. Jack the rear wheel off the ground and have someone hold the bike. Grab the tire at about 3 and 9 o'clock and see how much "twist" you have that would indicate the swing arm bushings may be shot. This is not easy and will only show you if the problem is real bad. You would also have a pretty scary ride if this was the case.

If all those things check out OK, then I am afraid you will have to check for runout on the crank (at the pinion shaft inside the cam chest, and at the drive shaft inside the Primary). I would not start here, but rather eliminate all the easy stuff outside the engine first. If it is runout, you are in for a pretty big job. You might consider the HD Reman program if this is the case.

TQ

I won't second guess here, and I agree that it may be motor related, but you did not say how many miles are on the bike or how many miles are on the tires. If you can get the bike jacked up so the tires are off the ground check to see if you feel any cupping on eiher side of the front tire. It could also be that you have lost a wheel weight and the vib is less as you gain speed.

Crank problems with these newer models are reputed to occur when the top has been built oversize or if there has been some abuse (popping clutch, or serious downshift event, where rear wheel wants to break loose). They really should shift on you with normal use. My vote is with motor mount(s), or defeated motor mount(s), such as previously stated (somekind of hard contact between motor and frame, like pipes, stray bolt, etc.).

Good luck,
Rich P

Get up to speed when the vibration starts then get off the throttle and then disengage the clutch. If it does not go away, then it is not engine related. Could be tires, bushings, etc. as others have suggested.

Back