Excessive engine vibration softtail springer

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by LifesToShort, Jun 27, 2011.

1. LifesToShort

LifesToShort New Member

I changed out the "buck horn" handlebars on my 2000 softtail springer(20,000miles) with Wild One dragster type bars with integrated risers. Lots of work over the winter, but it looks good. I don't know if its coincidence with the new bars, but the engine vibrates the new bars, mirrors and hand grips etc... At any speed when I clutch and take the load off the engine their is no vibration. What the heck should I be looking for? Looking to enjoy my ride again.

2. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

Did you change out the isolators when you changed the bars?

3. LifesToShort

LifesToShort New Member

I did not change the isolators. Would that make a difference when the new bars have vibration dampening in the risers? Suggest HD isolators or other make?

4. HDDon

HDDon Experienced Member Contributor Retired Moderators

I've always had good luck with the J&P heavy duty urethane dampers. Are you feeling excessive vibs in your footboards? This may be just a different riding position with more of your weight on your wrist.

5. LifesToShort

LifesToShort New Member

There is vibration in foot pegs as well, but with heavy riding boots, it is not a big deal.
    You are probably right about the change in wrist position from the buck horns to the drag bars. I will take a look at the J&P dampers. Thanks for info.