free website stats program Excessive battery drain | Harley Davidson Forums

Excessive battery drain

True Believer

Help..... Bike is currently at Dealers for the 4th time with same problem.

After riding it home from a service the day before, putting her away in the garage, turning the ignition off and leaving her for the night, I returned to ride her the next day. The engine was cold, with the ignition in the 'off' position, as I'd left her. However, the alarm key light was on all the time (not flashing) and a noisy strange clicking sound was coming from the engine behind the air cooler. I went to start her and there wasn't enough juice to fire her up. I turned the ignition back off, removed the key and the alarm set properly with key light flashing. Charged the battery up before taking it back to the dealers.

This has happened 3 times before - the first time, the battery was replaced even though this wasn't faulty. Last time the rectifier was changed but I rode it home, only to find that the alarm didn't activate properly with the key light staying on and the strange clicking sound. I rode it back to the dealers the next day and thay said nothing was wrong!

Something is draining the battery and I can only think it's something to do with the ignition or the alarm. The dealer has no idea....does anyone on here?
:newsmile08:

Last edited:
If what Hobbit posted doesn't do the trick,it's possible there is a problem with the TSSM (turn signal security module) which operates the alarm system as one of it's functions.

Dealer just said that he doesn't think its the fuel pump relay, as the noise was different.....'cos he heard it after the rectifier 'fix' and said it was the valves in the air cooler....that explained it whilst the engine was hot but not when it was stone cold this time. He'll be checking the TSSM but, of course, the 'fault' hasn't manifested itself again whilst it's been there.
:bigsmiley29:

Back