free website stats program Evo starting problem | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo starting problem

I've got a 1997 Evo, when the starter button is pressed, it makes a whining noise without the engine spinning, for about 4-5 secs, after this time the engine will suddenly spin & then immedietly fire up, it does this whether its hot or cold, it does it with my old battery, with the battery from my sportster which i know is good & it now does it with the brand new battery that i have installed

I have a similar problem on my 88 soft tail. I hit the start button and hear a faint click under the console between the gas tanks. That’s it, nothing else. I take my thumb off the start button then a few seconds later I hear a second faint click. Some one said it could be the starter relay but I thought the starter relay was on the back fender near the battery. Any clues? Thanks John

Could be the main breaker too. If you hold the button till you hear a click and then feel the battery terminals and one/both are hot,remove and clean them, you found your problem.

Many thanks. So that faint click may be my main breaker. If so, i'm guessing I need to replace it as the battery and terminals are new and clean?

If it's the breaker, try to find out if there is a short causing it to open but an 88 breaker has seen a lot of heat.

Back