Evo starting problem

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by stamford74, Jun 21, 2009.

1. stamford74

stamford74 Member

I've got a 1997 Evo, when the starter button is pressed, it makes a whining noise without the engine spinning, for about 4-5 secs, after this time the engine will suddenly spin & then immedietly fire up, it does this whether its hot or cold, it does it with my old battery, with the battery from my sportster which i know is good & it now does it with the brand new battery that i have installed

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Starter drive need to be replaced.

3. NEWHD74FAN

NEWHD74FAN Experienced Member Retired Moderators

4. john oliver

john oliver New Member

I have a similar problem on my 88 soft tail. I hit the start button and hear a faint click under the console between the gas tanks. That’s it, nothing else. I take my thumb off the start button then a few seconds later I hear a second faint click. Some one said it could be the starter relay but I thought the starter relay was on the back fender near the battery. Any clues? Thanks John

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

Could be the main breaker too. If you hold the button till you hear a click and then feel the battery terminals and one/both are hot,remove and clean them, you found your problem.

6. john oliver

john oliver New Member

Many thanks. So that faint click may be my main breaker. If so, i'm guessing I need to replace it as the battery and terminals are new and clean?

7. glider

glider Veteran Member

If it's the breaker, try to find out if there is a short causing it to open but an 88 breaker has seen a lot of heat.

8. stamford74

stamford74 Member

All,
    thanks for advice, just ordered new drive, £48 for the record.
    cheers