free website stats program Evo primary cover oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo primary cover oil leak

ceejay

I've got a 1989 evo engined FXRS with wet clutch and 5 speed transmission. There's oil coming out of the outer primary chaincase cover where the transmission shift lever shaft enters through the inspection hatch (the hatch held on by 4 bolts). Is there some sort of bush, oil seal or o ring in there? if so is it easy to replace, my Clymer manual just doesn't seem to cover it.

I've got a 1989 evo engined FXRS with wet clutch and 5 speed transmission. There's oil coming out of the outer primary chaincase cover where the transmission shift lever shaft enters through the inspection hatch (the hatch held on by 4 bolts). Is there some sort of bush, oil seal or o ring in there? if so is it easy to replace, my Clymer manual just doesn't seem to cover it.

There should be a seal on the shaft where it goes thru the plate, The dealer should still stock it

I dont have a parts list that covers your year but for 93 the o-rings there are 2 are part number 11117
i would think that things would be pretty much the same through most of the evo models

Brian

I lived with that aggravating issue for quite a while, and a LOT of orings. Finally in exasperation, I went to a parts house that had a REAL parts guy. We looked through a lot of orings, and found one that was the same outside diameter and nearly the same I.D. but thicker rubber. It hasn't leaked in years.

Back