free website stats program Evo oily air filter | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo oily air filter

HOLY DIVER

friend of mine has a 95 softtail and he is venting way to much oil out the air cleaner its dripping out and blowing all over the side the bike i told him 2 MAKE SURE the oil was not over filled (check it hot) he did in fact it was a little low i know on a twin cam it could be oil pump alignment but on a evo i don't know what 2 tell him?

Hi there Holy Diver
Did this excess oil venting situation started happening suddenly, i.e .following an oil change/top up or is it something that has gradually developed? The first one is obvious, and the second could be a sign of excessive blow-by building too much pressure in the crank. Worn rings, in other words...
Does this happen after the bike has been sitting for a while?
It could also be the oil check ball needing cleaning/replacement. It is sitting under spring tension under one of the flat screwdriver slot type caps, and is an easy and cheap thing to check and replace (tip: don't use a srew driver to open it, use a coin that just fits in the slot and pliers).

It could be that the umbrella valves are past the end of their lives and will need replacing
But other than that i think Karl had most things coverd

Brian

I'm with the umbrella valve suggestion. They are made of a type of rubber and get stiff or deform with age. They are easy to replace.

There is also a fix to drill the drain holes a bit bigger in the lower rocker box:s

Back