free website stats program EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing | Harley Davidson Forums

EVO oil pump gear cover pinion bushing

JBC2565

Had a wonderful 77 degree day here in Northern Virginia so took the bike out for a 2 hour ride(first longer ride of year. Sat in shed for 4 months). Came home and looked it over for any leaks or issues. Noticed that the oil pump gear cover pinion bushing was "wet" and had a small "dribble" down oil pump housing.
Just wondering how tight I should put it in or is there a clearence amount it should be in from housing. Don't want to snug it up in pump if it will push on something inside pump and impede the flow of oil.
Bike is a 1998 Heritage softail classic 32k Mikuni carb, K&N a c and krome werks slip ons. Never leaked before and just brought out of storage this past week.
Thanks for the help.
John

Had a wonderful 77 degree day here in Northern Virginia so took the bike out for a 2 hour ride(first longer ride of year. Sat in shed for 4 months). Came home and looked it over for any leaks or issues. Noticed that the oil pump gear cover pinion bushing was "wet" and had a small "dribble" down oil pump housing.
Just wondering how tight I should put it in or is there a clearence amount it should be in from housing. Don't want to snug it up in pump if it will push on something inside pump and impede the flow of oil.
Bike is a 1998 Heritage softail classic 32k Mikuni carb, K&N a c and krome werks slip ons. Never leaked before and just brought out of storage this past week.
Thanks for the help.
John

How many miles? These gaskets tend to get brittle over time is the leak between the pump and the crank case? I dont think re tightening the bolts will help I would pull the pump inspect it and or replace it and all snap rings and gaskets JMO

How many miles? These gaskets tend to get brittle over time is the leak between the pump and the crank case? I dont think re tightening the bolts will help I would pull the pump inspect it and or replace it and all snap rings and gaskets JMO

32,000. Oil is not coming out of side housing on pump, but the actual hole where bolt goes into. # 30 bolt on link below.

EVO Oil Pump Pic - Archive - Harley Davidson Community

Thanks Jack.

Last edited:
Look at that exploded view again the parts are not numbered right, I still think you have a gasket problem, I have seen this before on Softails

I'll try this link below. One on mine above didn't have picture.

EVO Oil Pump Pic - Harley Davidson Community

Where mine is leaking from is round hole #30 on pump cover (all the way left top # 30. I see it has two # 30's. other #30 is in actual pump).
I did tighten it up and leak stopped, but I only road for 30 minutes. Was wondering if that would impede oil from flowing. I might have to do a gasket switch out this weekend. Hope the dealer has one in stock. Thanks.

I'll try this link below. One on mine above didn't have picture.

EVO Oil Pump Pic - Harley Davidson Community

Where mine is leaking from is round hole #30 on pump cover (all the way left top # 30. I see it has two # 30's. other #30 is in actual pump).
I did tighten it up and leak stopped, but I only road for 30 minutes. Was wondering if that would impede oil from flowing. I might have to do a gasket switch out this weekend. Hope the dealer has one in stock. Thanks.

If it stopped leaking I would just keep an eye on it These pumps are pretty stout I have only seen one fail and I did a in frame rebuild including new bushing that H D said could not be done with out pulling the motor LOL making my own tools was half the job:s

If it stopped leaking I would just keep an eye on it These pumps are pretty stout I have only seen one fail and I did a in frame rebuild including new bushing that H D said could not be done with out pulling the motor LOL making my own tools was half the job:s

Thank you Jack. Looks like in the picture, that bolt just holds the cover onto pump up high and doesn't go anyway near the gears but didn't know if an oil channel went near that bolt. Numbers are definately incorrect. Says the gasket is 8 but should be 19. I'll have to get the service manual back from my friend to double check before I ride this weekend.
John

Thank you Jack. Looks like in the picture, that bolt just holds the cover onto pump up high and doesn't go anyway near the gears but didn't know if an oil channel went near that bolt. Numbers are definately incorrect. Says the gasket is 8 but should be 19. I'll have to get the service manual back from my friend to double check before I ride this weekend.
John

Good deal i still think the gasket may be to blame but if the bolts are tight now you should be good to go the gears and oil passages should be ok

Good deal i still think the gasket may be to blame but if the bolts are tight now you should be good to go the gears and oil passages should be ok

Please tell me I can change the gasket with the engine in frame??? Looks like I have plenty of room, might just have to drop an exhaust for more room to work.
Might as well clean the tappet screen while I'm in that section.

You have me scared with your comment above about the EVO oil pump rebuild.

I just looked at my manual for a 94 and it is the same exploded view as the ones above. My manual says the pump can be rebuilt without removing the crankcase, so I don't see any reason you can't replace the gaskets. The part #30 inthe view above is actually a plug in my manual.

Back