free website stats program EVO Missfire/Popping | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

EVO Missfire/Popping

Yeah, probably the wires due to their age but I was using a different wire for the tests. What type of coil?

To check spark while running I guess I run it on one cylinder and pull the plug on the other and watch it??

Stick with the stok make coil. The hi performance coils are only needed when the compression ratio is upped. Does nothing otherwise.

I use a phillips screwdriver inserted in the end of the coil wire and move it about a 1/4" away from the plug tip so the engine runs on both cylinders and you can still see the spark occurring.

Thanks again for the help, here is where I'm at.

The weather got good so I put it together and road it...LOL!!

The compression is good, leakdown test good, it does not use any oil so I'm satisfied the engine is sound. My spark is weak and I'll replace the coil and wires since they are 16 years old. While running the bike I have been checking the plugs, it is definately running too rich on the low speed circuit but the hi-speed side is good and this thing really goes for what it is. Since I want to replace the drag pipes anyway I'll do that and then whatever I'm gonna do with the carb at that time..Do it right and do it once...Then we see if that idle miss/popping is gone.

I don't use the enricher to warm it up anymore, start the bike and then use the trottle lock to keep it idling for warm up. That little bit of smoke I was seeing is just about gone doing it this way and the plugs stay clean.

Doug

Back