free website stats program Evo head oil leak | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo head oil leak

tourglide

I have an untouched stock 80 cu in Evo with 90,000 miles on it. After a long trip I noticed oil on the cooling fins below the head gasket.I cleaned the area with brakeclean and after about 300 miles no more oil has appeared. I am being told that I could have a cracked head or barrel and the engine needs to get realy hot for it to leak. Is this common and how do I tell if I have a crack? I don't want to go to the expense of fixing head gaskets and still have a problem as I have a chance at a totally rebuilt engine with warranty for more cost of course - advice please

The evo engine is a fairly robust engine however there are a few weak points mainly the base gaskets and the lower rocker gaskets are the ones that leak however the lower rocker gasket is the one above the cylinder head and once leaking tend to go on leaking but oil can migrate all over the engine due to wind and vibration so best to keep it clean and watch for the leak to start again to identify exactly where oil is coming from

Brian

I would doublwe check, It's probably not your head gasket. More than likely, it's the rocker boxes.

Back