free website stats program EVO engine. What to watch out for? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

EVO engine. What to watch out for?

As i do a low mileage on my bakes about 3000 per year as i prefer not to ride on snow ice and salt although on occasions i do
i tend to give bikes a full going over in feb/march although the last couple of years have had snow through to may bikes are used whenever the weather/roads are good enough but work and family comitments prevent me from doing further mileage on the bikes
During the service on each bike i go from front to rear and check inspect and service every item i can it is part of my time with my bikes and during that service the tappet screen is removed and cleaned

Brian

Thanks to all for EVO engine info.
Thought it was a good engine but was wondering why they changed?
I'm sure it has to do with more power or engine specs, but I'm very happy to hear my EVO has a lot of life left in her.

Not endorsing any one product but this is an example of the type offered by some
run between 11 dollars and seen them over 30
Jims TAPPET SCREEN PLUG TOOL JIMS 2233: Automotive

Thanks smitty that looks like the right tool for the job i just ground down a bit of hex steel from an old cold chisel till it fitted the slot just right works every time but then i tend to have it out every time i service

Brian

Or if you want to keep things real cheap and easy--find a big washer that fits the slot and turn it with a pliers. But like Smitty says 'don't over tighten it'! :58:

CatWoman

I'm sure it has to do with more power or engine specs, but I'm very happy to hear my EVO has a lot of life left in her.

EPA rules for emissions and noise. One of the factors that we owners never (usually?) notice or consider is the "noise" (not exhaust) of the engine. Pistons going up and down, valve train,pinion gears etc. are all measured and standards have been set.
The other is emissions, the twin cams run hotter, because "Uncle" says they must run leaner.

In the video in Post #12 the tech referred to "--drag link socket tool...". Which is a "heavy duty" square end slotted driver you snap on the end of your ratched wrench or extension. Note: make sure it fits the fastener slot "snug" and as Smitty said...do not overtighten, which is very easy to do with a ratchet drive handle and "burly mitts".

tn683s3.jpg

Also, one could say that the Sportster family is the "modern" version of the EVO regarding "nearest equivalent" H-D has nowadays. But then apples and oranges are related too...LOL...alls good...twin cam is pretty far removed from the EVO trail, waiting when new H-D water cooled engine...it will be a sad & happy day at the same time.

Last edited:
In the video in Post #12 the tech referred to "--drag link socket tool...". Which is a "heavy duty" square end slotted driver you snap on the end of your ratched wrench or extension. Note: make sure it fits the fastener slot "snug" and as Smitty said...do not overtighten, which is very easy to do with a ratchet drive handle and "burly mitts".

tn683s3.jpg

Also, one could say that the Sportster family is the "modern" version of the EVO regarding "nearest equivalent" H-D has nowadays. But then apples and oranges are related too...LOL...alls good...twin cam is pretty far removed from the EVO trail, waiting when new H-D water cooled engine...it will be a sad & happy day at the same time.

The Sporster line has the Evo top end while the lower end has pretty much stayed the same over the years with the exception of the ending of the generator and update to the alternator system. The Sportsters have better valve train geometry than the Big Twins due to there cams. The Big Twin Evos had a few problems with cylinder studs pulling loose and case porous problems where oil would leak or cases would crack all in all a very Stout engine and I ran 3 Evo Big Twins hard:p

My understanding is that one of the reasons for the change was to have a new engine that was different in architecture so not everyone, [ S&S etc ], could make after market parts for it. The company wanted to keep that portion of the market to themselves for as long as they could. At least that is what I have heard from several dealers and read in AIM. That being said the EVO is a wonderful platform to build on because of all the after market support.

Back