free website stats program Evo Engine Swap? | Harley Davidson Forums

Evo Engine Swap?

upland117

I am looking at picking up a spare early Evo motor for my 1998 Softail to tinker around on. It is a 1985 with no primary or tranny. Will I be able to bolt my 1998 primary and tranny to it or will I have issues? Thanks a lot.

It fine. The early EVO's had a cracking/leaking problem, on the cases, from what I've heard. I could be wrong on that though.
tourbox

Also the early ones weren't head breathers with Umbrella valves. You would have to convert your air cleaner or modify the newer one.
tourbox

It fine. The early EVO's had a cracking/leaking problem, on the cases, from what I've heard. I could be wrong on that though.
tourbox

Also the early ones weren't head breathers with Umbrella valves. You would have to convert your air cleaner or modify the newer one.
tourbox
Right on the money with this advice:s

The problematic years seemed to have been in the early '90's.
The 90* corner that was established during machining the r/cylinder tappet block pad, is the area where those crack. No joy.
Yep, that earlier Evo, is a case-breather like a Shovel, and in 1992, the head breathers were introduced, and yes, as already mentioned, they can be converted very easily.:)

Back