free website stats program EVO Engine Cam Change Major problems | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

EVO Engine Cam Change Major problems

Paxta; After running fine for 80 miles, loud backfire, then 25 lbs of compression, makes me feel the cam gear was not pressed on properly and slipped. Now when pistons are going up the valves are open. Too coincidental to be something that is not related to thier work, you should not have to pay any additional to get it running properly again.

I've tried to find the instructions I used when I installed the EV27 in my '94 FLSTC (in '95) without success. I used taper lite adj. pushrods and I seem to remember that there was a wait period of 10 to 15 minutes after the initial adjustment to allow the tappits to bleed down and than a final adjustment. Sounds like the shop/mech. didn't follow the instructions or forgot to do the final adjustment. This is from a 63 year olds memory, any one out there that verify this procedure? Sounds like the shop owes you a bike that works no matter what work they have to do. If it doesn't work out I for one would like to know the shop name so I don't get bit too. Good Luck

Thanks all,

Most of you are pointing to the mechanic and how the pushrods were adjusted at the time. However what about the fact that the bike ran like a dream right up until it backfired and stopped. ?

At the time it stopped I was decelerating on and off quite a bit as I went through the mountain range, using engine compression to slow down. I was maybe in second gear and under 2000 revs.

A major backfire in the exhaust and then hey presto no compression?

If the pushrods were not correctly how would the engine run fine and then all off a sudden stop?

As far as pumped up lifters, if this happened would they not go back to normal after the engine stopped and cooled down. ?? This thing still was still low on compression and not going the next day. ?
As I see it I have not choice but to let this shop fix the bike and yes I expect that it will cost be dearly.

As far as pumped up lifters, if this happened would they not go back to normal after the engine stopped and cooled down. ?? .

Yes they would.... if it was a perfect world. But lots of parts don't do what they are suppose to do once they break. You did not say if they replaced the lifters when they installed the New cam. It is hard to give you more supporting information without feedback from the questions asked. The problem your having can't be too in depth because it affects BOTH cylinders. Check that cam gear like it was suggested.

If it is the cam gear, I would be very surprised if the valves were not bent. That's probably the reason for no compression. Valves just don't all of a sudden need lapped. If they are not seating, it is for a reason. They do not have to be but a few thousands off true to not seat.
If they just barely kissed the tops of those pistons, the bend may not be noticable until they are spun and checked for straightness.

I agree with these guys, sounds like one of 2 things, pushrods not adjusted right or a lifter going bad, the higher lift cam could be just enough to cause a lifter to fail. BTW I know what you are going through, a Harley dealer built my motor and after being on the highway for an extended period of time and then getting off and coming to a stop it will stall and I have some serious decell pop, after several times bike they told me they cannot fix it, so now I gotta spend 300.00 and take it 2 hours from me to another Harley shop who says they can fix it and get me more power. So as I see it, the 5000.00 to build my motor and them tell me they cannot do anything else with it (EDIT), do what I did, make call after call to dealers, you will eventually find someone who will know what to do with it. Good luck.

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
It is also possible that maybe they did not tighten the jam nut on the pushrod and maybe it came out of adjustment, did or do you notice that the motor waw a little more noisy than usual.

Back