free website stats program evo crankcase drain plug | Harley Davidson Forums

evo crankcase drain plug

i cant seem to locate the drain plug at the bottom of my 92' EVO.please help

There is no drain plug on the engine. There is a hose that comes from the bottom of the oil tank and runs down on the right side of the bike behind the trans. with a plug in the end captured by a hose clamp. There is a clip that the hose fits under to keep it secured.

i know where that drain is but a friend of mine said that there is a case drain plug also.i have looked but cantsee one. i am having trouble getting my engine to turn all the way over when i hit the start button. its almost like the engine is hydraulicing or something. it cranks over to the top then stops. with the plugs out it turns over fine. a mystery to me. i was getting alot of oil puke out of the base pressure line at cold start also.alot of oil. not just the normal bit then claer up. it pukes for awhile.

As it is much harder for the engine to turn over when the plugs are in due to engine compression it may be that your battery/battery cables are the problem here rather than oil in the sump
but the is no sump plug so no need to keep looking for it

Brian

Iron sportsters and after market crank cases like Delkron had drains not stock Evos:D

Hammer just imboard of the plug you remove to get at the tappit screen there is another plug that has a spring and steel ball that acts as a check valve to keep oil out of the crankcase. If the spring is weak or the ball is not seating right correctly you will get oil in the bottom of the crank case. This will cause excess pressure on the underside of the pistons. This could be your hard starting problem. Did the bike sit up for an extended period? This is ususlly when you find out that the check valve is not sealing. As for getting the oil out of the crankcase it ususlly sumps out back through the air cleaner and all over the right side of the bike. If you don't already have one a manual is a great investment.

Hammer just imboard of the plug you remove to get at the tappit screen there is another plug that has a spring and steel ball that acts as a check valve to keep oil out of the crankcase. If the spring is weak or the ball is not seating right correctly you will get oil in the bottom of the crank case. This will cause excess pressure on the underside of the pistons. This could be your hard starting problem. Did the bike sit up for an extended period? This is ususlly when you find out that the check valve is not sealing. As for getting the oil out of the crankcase it ususlly sumps out back through the air cleaner and all over the right side of the bike. If you don't already have one a manual is a great investment.

As Don has said this plug with the check ball can loose its seating ability and flood the crank case, you can re seat the ball with some valve grinding compound replace the ball and change the oil

Right side frame rail on bottom, Just in front of the rear swing arm pivot support. There is a hose going to the frame. under the frame is the drain plug. There might be a pipe plug on the bottom center of the case, depending on the year, that you can use to drain the case. If not then pull the oil pressure sending unit and crank over with out starting untill the oil is out. dont do for to long. Refill as per manual. Info from 2003 softail service manual. Page 1-12

Back