free website stats program evo bottom end | Harley Davidson Forums

evo bottom end

ridemywg

Hi on my 1989 FLHTP I will be pulling the motor, the motor near as I can tell has been top end rebuilt at least once and bottom end also at least once and only reason I know this is I've seen white\clear silicone or something along that line hanging from the casing joints at the bottom. My question is are there any tell tail signs that the bottom end needs to be split once the top end is removed? I don't have a lot of extra cash and the bike makes no un-normal sounds when its running.All I've done to the motor myself is a bit more aggressive cam and new HD lifters along with easy install pushrods.I had done compression test on hot motor and got 140 lb on front and back.
Thanks

Check the end play on the crank the bottom ends are pretty bullet proofIMO

You should be able to tell by feel or the shop will be able to tell by feel if you need to take the bottom end apart. If there seems to be excessive play in the rods then you gotta take it apart. Also, depending on the miles it is not alot of money to split the cases and put a new set of rods in, I have found that a new set of rods are about the same as just replacing the bearings. If I had the motor to the point you will have it I would go all the way personally.

Few good reason for that one it is not a TC and has little in common with one. Get in there not knowing what your doing it is going to get expensive.

Yes I realize that the evo is differnt than tc , it was humour.:)
20 years ago I built a few british show bikes and built a 76 iron head from bottom up and worked on my present evo changing out cam, this fall I changed out my buddies stator and working on my tc to the point of changing shifter seal. I feel very confident I can do what ever needs to be done without it getting more expensive than what ever road I plan on going down here.

Back