free website stats program everything seems great, cranks but NO START | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

everything seems great, cranks but NO START

The crank possition sensor is in the front left side of the motor just below the oil filter.
You can take it out with removal of one Allen bolt... Pull easily straight out, the "0" ring holds it sealed. Then LOOK at the end of the sensor that face IN. Is it full of metal shavings or a few? If so clean it off and IF not damaged on the inner end, Put it back and try that. If it is cracked or Metal end showing IT May be damaged.. Replace

Mine showed a little metal on the end(Exposed) it was My problem and a replacement did the trick..

The sensor is a Magnetic pulse reader... Counting knobs on the flywheel then sensing the spot where NO knobs are on the flywheel.. I think it is electric magnetic,, opening and closing from the knobs and that is how it works..
(noting position of crank in it's rotation)

It usually will go bad and Not start and then it will start and work a short time, like mine did, than leave you stranded along the highway... New Mexico and I was home in Az.

Hoople says it is easy to check??? got me.

The long wire that it is on,,, NEEDS to be removed and NOT spliced together with a new sensor IF you replace it..

I ran mine a different position than back into the harnes,,, seemed easier and my harness was bad,
signed....BUBBIE

thanks, i'll replace it

i just pulled it out and cleaned it although nothing on it

battery was clicking so putting a charge and will try to start it in a few hours. What apain in the( EDIT ) this has been trying to figure out the prblem. thanks again

bubbie thank for the check. I pulled it no metal at all very clean but needed to charge the batter so i'll try and crank it in awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back