free website stats program ever seen a WindJammer on a Sporty? | Harley Davidson Forums

ever seen a WindJammer on a Sporty?

grandpawj

I have a '98 Sportster 1200, just 9K miles. Thinking about a nice fairing. Back in the 70's bought a Honda with a Windjammer on it and loved it. Thought, why not on a Sportster. Any thoughts?

I had the WindJammer SS on a Z1B Kawasaki and loved it. I see them on Ebay all the time. I would think that getting the right mounting bracket would be pretty iffy. You could probably make one if you have some welding skills. You would also need to make sure that the clearance is right for your Sporty.

yup, I think clearance would be the main issue. I can't even weld a spot, but my next door neighbor is a professional at it. I guess I could buy one for a fit check and if it won't work could just resell it.

I don't think you'll find one for a Sporty. Vetter stopped making them back in the early 80's I think. The bracket for mine was made from split tubing that fit over the downtubes and a weldment on top that supported the Fairing. Vetter also made some smaller fairings and I think those were frame mounted too.

xlcr-1977.jpg

I kind of liked the cafe xlcr tho it never caught on

Still one of the coolest bikes Willie G. designed Jack. JMO

I've seen some batwings that look decent.

As for a windjammer, I haven't seen one.

Have seen a fixed fairing from a Yamaha that was fabricated to fit a sporty. Took a lot of fab to make it work and the final product? Well, let's just say there might be a reason way it's not a common mod.

Sporty's have a lot of various styles but, fixed fairing doesn't appear to be one.

Maybe give one a try and see?

Don's link has a pic of a Sportster with a Vetter Windjammer on it. It is near the bottom, toward center of page. There's a lime green bike to the left that may catch your eye. All I can say is.. ... it's different?

Back