free website stats program Ever Roll Back The Throttle? | Harley Davidson Forums

Ever Roll Back The Throttle?

Webbtron

Banned
I can't even remember when I picked up this habit but it was a long time ago. Someone told me to roll off the throttle every 5 to 10 miles on my 77 Sportster to let oil get to the top of the cylinder. Do you need to do this with the newer bikes? Or was it unnecessary all along?

News to me... I'm sure someone will post the tech data though. My guess is its designed to go down the road at speed. Can't see where decelerating would hurt anything, or where just riding would either....

I think it would drive me nuts to ride behind someone who did that though! LOL

Well, I tried to do it on a downhill. I've ridden with some pretty onery fellas and I don't think they ever noticed. It is only for a second or two, and I certainly wouldn't have put you in harms way Bull Dog Jim.

I did see a show a while back were a mechanic/engine builder was talking about rolling on the throttle from time to time on an older engine. I don't remember the model engine and it was a few years ago.

What he mentioned was that it was not good to run a a constant rpm for a long time. It was something on how the engine pumped oil and goose-ing the throttle from time to time increased the oil pressure to force it to the highest portion of the engine.

But, if you "slow down" you will eventually have to rev the throttle to get back up to speed. So, no matter what you do first (slow down or speed up) you will have to do the opposite at some piont.

Now, I am sure some sage advice will be coming as to whether this is true or not and what models it applied to......:s

I do not believe this applies to recent engines (fuel injected)

Last edited:
I remember that too. It supposedly helped to lubricate the tops of the cylinders. Have no idea if it's true. I sorta still do it, inasmuch as I will let go for a second, just to relax my hand.

We were told , (Urban Legend )IMO to do this to help cool the Irons down

Did you ever do it Jack? You know it is pretty hard to ride 10 miles without some sort of throttle movement regardless.

Yep, My Panhead seemed to like it, but The Bob is tempermental:s

Yep, My Panhead seemed to like it, but The Bob is tempermental:s

It seems this kind of thing goes well with a Pan. I saw a few you knew they were getting oil to the top because it was leaking out.:s. What a great motor isn't a car alarm made that would hold up to those. Best friend had one but never I

Back