free website stats program Euro Transmission Oil? | Harley Davidson Forums

Euro Transmission Oil?

karlsbike

Hi all
Pondering on what to put in my all new 6-speed O/D tranny.
I see plenty of posts on the subject, but as I am in Europe the most recommended ones are not available - the Spectro 6 Speed trans oil 75/140, or Redline Shockproof seems to be the best (or at least very good oils).

Any Euro bikers out there who have tried out some non H-D gear oil that you can recommend for smooth shifting?

Zodiac dealers should be able to get the full range of spectro oils but they have to buy it in by the box so depending on demand they may not stock it

[Zodiac Performance Products for Harley-Davidson]
If you go into the site and find the dealer locator it will show the dealers in your country and it might be worth calling a few and see what is available

Brian

Hi all
Pondering on what to put in my all new 6-speed O/D tranny.
I see plenty of posts on the subject, but as I am in Europe the most recommended ones are not available - the Spectro 6 Speed trans oil 75/140, or Redline Shockproof seems to be the best (or at least very good oils).

Any Euro bikers out there who have tried out some non H-D gear oil that you can recommend for smooth shifting?

With the temps in Norway, you may not need a 75W-140 gear lube for your tranny. I would look for a FULL synthetic 75W-90 or 75W-110 gear lube that is a GL-5. The brand itself is not as important as being fit-for-purpose.

In your engine, any FULL synthetic 20W-50 engine oil for air cooled service will be good. Failing that, dino will be option B. If you can not find that, then read the info in the self-help pages about diesel engine lube oils as an alternative.

Oil Related Tips - Harley Davidson Community

For the primary, HD Formula + is a good option. Failing that, then any wet clutch/chaincase lubricant will be an option.

Good hunting.

TQ

Zodiac dealers should be able to get the full range of spectro oils but they have to buy it in by the box so depending on demand they may not stock it

[Zodiac Performance Products for Harley-Davidson]
If you go into the site and find the dealer locator it will show the dealers in your country and it might be worth calling a few and see what is available

Brian

I have Spectro 6, have to argue to get it though.

Find an independent shop, they can order it for you.

Thanks all for the feed-back.
I see I didn't do my homework properly - Zodiac has Spectro, and I found a dealer in town.
The funny thing is, Norway is a major oil exporter and should be able to produce some good stuff right here. Problem is I do not know what works well in my scoot. Will visit the dealer and try out some Spectro full synthetic (I'll look into the best weight for me, and appreiocate your tips, TQ).

As for engine oil, the old scoot will have get new heart as well - just assembling a 96cuin S&S engine, and in there I will put only the best stuff. Will follow S&S advise and go for dino oil during break-in, but after that I'll probably try out some full syn.

As for engine oil, the old scoot will have get new heart as well - just assembling a 96cuin S&S engine, and in there I will put only the best stuff. Will follow S&S advise and go for dino oil during break-in, but after that I'll probably try out some full syn.

See here:

Synthetic Oils In New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

The key with a new engine is seating the rings. Once that is done correctly, a short cycle oil change or two will get all the nasty stuff out of the oil path and she is ready to go!

Engine Break In For New Motors - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

TQ
Thanks, much appreciated. BTW, have a look at the last post of the break-in thread - believe i have voiced my opinion there...
Still not sure how I will do my break-in, and still sceptical to applying MotoMan's break-in procedures to a street engine. Being an engineer, I need logic that fits in my head, and I am not quite there yet.
I WILL listen to the advise and use good quality oils, and I will probably do a light-version of MotoMan's break-in but keep revs reasonable w/o lugging for a good while...
The up-side here is that from what I hear and read, the 96cuin S&S EVO is about as bullet-proof as they come, so I can probably not go too wrong with a bit of common sense.

- And now I found a dealer for RedLine as well...
Tell me, what's the difference between the Heavy and Lightweight - or to be more specific, for running in a non-tropical;) climate, which one would be most suited?

The descripitions on their webpage:
Shockproof Heavy
Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90

Shockproof Lighweight
Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W140, yet low fluid friction like 80W gear oil or 30W motor oil

Confused by excessive choices...

Tell me, what's the difference between the Heavy and Lightweight - or to be more specific, for running in a non-tropical;) climate, which one would be most suited?

Shockproof Heavy

Shockproof Lighweight
Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W140, yet low fluid friction like 80W gear oil or 30W motor oil

I run the 75/140 synthetic year round, but I am dealing with Florida heat most of the time:s

Shockproof Heavy

Shockproof Lighweight

You should use lightweight.

The heavy weight oils are for riders who run in warmer climates, and need
oil that doesnt get too thin in high ambient temperatures... like Spain.

Back