free website stats program ETIMS Activation 08 Bikes | Harley Davidson Forums

ETIMS Activation 08 Bikes

glider.

BOT Machine
For riders who frequently find themselves in riding conditions where the vehicle is subjected to prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion, the motorcycle is a equipped with an (ETIMS) to provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder.

ETIMS STANDS FOR
ENGINE TEMPERATURE IDLE MANAGEMENT SYSTEM

Vehicles delivered from the factory with ETIMS disabled ETIMS can be enabled or disabled by the rider by using the following procedure.

1. TURN THE IGNITION SWITCH TO THE ON POSITION ( DO NOT START THE ENGINE.)

2. PUSH THE THROTTLE TO ROLL-OFF POSITION AND HOLD.

3. AFTER APPROXIMATELY 3 SECONDS, THE CRUISE INDICATOR LAMP WILL EITHER FLASH GREEN (ETIMS ENABLED) (OR RED ETIMS DISABLED).

4. REPEAT THE PROCEDURE AS NEEDED TO ENABLE OR DISABLE ETIMS.

THIS IS ONLY ON 08's with build date 12/03/07 and later. Bikes built after this date were shipped from the factory with the new calibration with the twist grip roll off selection for ETIMS

This is the same download that the 07s got from the dealer (ONE TIME FREE DOWNLOAD) to cool the rear cylinder down at idle only.

But now you can turn it on and off when you want to. Not all 08s have this. Only start date of 12-07 until now.

I do not know if all Harleys do this or just the baggers.

System Function
When engine temperature reaches a pre-determined point, the EITMS will turn off the rear cylinder fuel injector. Idle speed will be maintained, however the rear cylinder will become an air pump which will work to cool the engine. EITMS will activate (rear cylinder will turn off) when all of the following conditions are met for approximately 6 seconds.
Engine temperature is greater than 287° F domestic (165° C international)
Twist grip opening less than 2.0%
Vehicle speed under 1 MPH (2 KPH)
Engine speed under 1200 RPM EITMS will disable (rear cylinder will again fire) if any one of the following occurs:
Engine temperature falls below 275° F domestic (135° C international)
Twist grip opening greater than 2.3%
Vehicle speed exceeds 2 MPH (3 KPH)
Engine speed exceeds 1350 RPM
Clutch is released with vehicle in gear When the engine is in EITMS mode you may notice a difference in idle cadence. Additionally there may be a unique exhaust odor. These are both considered to be normal conditions.

NOTE:On earlier models
If customer decides he does not want the EITMS, he may request you to deactivate it. Each motorcycle (as identified with its VIN) is entitled to have EITMS activated and deactivated once without charge. The original version of EITMS calibrations may also be upgraded to the new strategy under warranty as long as the two claims per VIN limit has not already been met. Charges for additional EITMS activations or deactivations will be the customer's responsibility.

Screamin Eagle Stage calibrations are available with active EITMS and without EITMS. Before installing these calibrations on a customer's vehicle, ensure the customer understands the EITMS and indicates their choice.

Also see this post for the bulletins...

ETIMS Bulletins - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Data,

My 2008 which I bought the end of October has this feature as I tried it the other day but Before I took it in for service a few months ago I remember trying it and it didn't work. In fact, I asked the dealer to do heat management download into computer. SO, Is it possible that when they do the update that it makes it so it is user changeable? It works now just like this bulletin says. Kinda weird. Oh and thanks for all your great answers. I help when I can but I seem to get more out of this board then I could ever put into. :hii

It has to do with the production date as mentioned in the tip above (Not all 08s have this. Only start date of 12-07 until now ). Bikes built after that have this feature which is owner programmable.
As for the dealer doing the download and changing this feature, I couldn't answer that, It's a closely guarded secret that the MOCO keeps all the info in these downloads from the public.

I would venture to say here that the installation by the dealer would over wright the manual activation of this feature on your bike.

It was hot the other day and I backed into my driveway and let my bike idle for a minute and the ETIMS activated. You really can tell that it is running on one cylinder because of the way it putts and if I didn't know about this system, I would surely think there was something wrong with my bike. System works as it should. Just not sure if I like it or not. I never thought it would activate with stage one mods completed. I was wrong.

I just wanted say thanks. This site saved me a shop fee. I bought my 08' Road King new. I had heard it had the EITMS to help prevent overheating. What I did not know is it was disabled from factory.
My situation was it is activated now. I was comparing how the bike acted new verses now. New I could sit in traffic on a Texas summer day for a good long while and never noticed any different idle change. Now same thing and EITMS kicks in. The bike did not appear to be hotter than normal in these conditions. I was thinking I had a problem. Reading this forum I learned that I turned on the EITMS by using the roll off on the throttle and never knew I did it.
I had briefly searched my service manuals trouble shooting section. Nothing listed. I called my local dealership with my concern. Service Manager mentioned it was the EITMS and wanted me to bring it in to check it out to see if overheating was a problem. I understand. BUT, simply telling me it could have been turned on by accident would have been nice of them. I do most all work myself so no real buddy like history between myself and dealership.
I'm sure my service manual has this procedure listed but darned if I could find it.

THANKS AGAIN. RIDE SAFE!!

JFYI:

If you turn the throttle beyond off for an Instant when riding with Cruise Control set, It will shut down cruise , Just like hitting the brake...

Just another use for the throttle......... NO Tell-Tail Brake Lights Flashed ON for Leo to see...:shock

signed....BUBBIE

Scare Crow; Welcome to the forum, and I want to say THANKS for using the search & Self Help features. We're more than happy to (re)answer questions, but it's nice to know the members efforts of posting the Self Help articles gets used. Comon back often. :ws

Thanks for the welcome Breeze. Also Bubbie I believe turning off cruise by rolling off my throttle is how I changed my EITMS setting. Must have just lingered in that position for a few seconds or maybe done this with key on and engine off. Either way all is good now that I know what is going on.

Back