free website stats program Ethanol ? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ethanol ?

I think you need a cold one.:cheers
That's a lot of brain power being used Billbo. Just go out and ride and just forgitaboutit. It is what it is and is all good...........:s

THANKS!!!! I needed that. Ya know what tho - right now I have a nice Echo weed eater that will not run. I had to replace that little primer bulb - it shattered like glass just pushing on it - and the parts guy said "Ethanol huh.... I bet you will need to have the carb worked on too" So, I replaced the primer bulb and still doesnt run -- did I mention I HATE Ethanol fuel?? :(:(:( and now one of my buds has to have his HD gas tank removed and cleaned and coated due to ethanol. Oh my goodness. To me it's sorta the same as using "recycled motor oil" for $1.00 a qt in the engine. Nahhhh I dont think so.

but thanks to you I am gonna chill a bit and just enjoy the ride and fillup with 10% ethanol from now on. Hummm, now I'm wondering about an octane booster additive ???? :D:D:D no I wont go there now!

You have a great day now dbmg

Bill

THANKS!!!! I needed that. Ya know what tho - right now I have a nice Echo weed eater that will not run. I had to replace that little primer bulb - it shattered like glass just pushing on it - and the parts guy said "Ethanol huh.... I bet you will need to have the carb worked on too" So, I replaced the primer bulb and still doesnt run -- did I mention I HATE Ethanol fuel?? :(:(:( and now one of my buds has to have his HD gas tank removed and cleaned and coated due to ethanol. Oh my goodness. To me it's sorta the same as using "recycled motor oil" for $1.00 a qt in the engine. Nahhhh I dont think so.

but thanks to you I am gonna chill a bit and just enjoy the ride and fillup with 10% ethanol from now on. Hummm, now I'm wondering about an octane booster additive ???? :D:D:D no I wont go there now!

You have a great day now dbmg

Bill
Bill, google and read up on Duralt additive for your fuel. I've been adding it to mine and it seems to help. It was a recommended fuel additive by harley for years.

Bill, google and read up on Duralt additive for your fuel. I've been adding it to mine and it seems to help. It was a recommended fuel additive by harley for years.

Thanks Jeff. Ill check out DURALT additives. I know we are all in the same boat here with gasolines - octanes and ethanols .... I guess I should just not worry too much about it all (in the bike anyway) I will not run it in my power equipment tho from now on. I use the pre-mix canned stuff for that since I dont use that much. I just hope that ethanol does not ruin my motorcycle gas tank, fuel pump, fuel lines, injection system, filters, or anything else related to fuel system on the Harley even the gas gage!!
Ethanol = BAD STUFF. (in my humble but accurate opinion) :):)

Ya know sumpin else - I think - IF you burn it up pretty quick, perhaps the ethanol may not be THAT bad. jus sayin'

Bill

Ya know sumpin else - I think - IF you burn it up pretty quick, perhaps the ethanol may not be THAT bad. jus sayin'

Bill

So just never stop riding except to fill the tank up though......:s
The local lawnmower repair shop complains all the time about the damage ethanol has done to the lawn equipment... Especially weed trimmers, chain saws, blowers etc. that are 2 cycle.....

I run only 91-93 octane no ethanol if I can find it. I usually run that in my small-grade equipment... most of my stuff runs on diesel though, which some of it has had issues due to the lower sulfur fuels. I try running Power Service thru my equipment every so often. I notice that in some of my tanks, I occasionally have algae build up.

just saying that straight 91 in Canada was lousy mileage. I was amazed that it dropped. know that alcohol has a much lower btu content than straight gasoline I am somewhat perplexed. I just know my bike runs better on and gives better mileage on this 93 octane. I am wondering if their is a different calculation for fuel up there. this M+R/R is a garbage way of figuring octane. give me the old Sunoco 260. that was gas.

I have been reading how terrible 10% ethanol is and how it will ruin my Harleys for as long as I can remember. As I posted earlier and anyone can confirm with some research, these TC motors will run more efficiently on the lowest octane fuel that will not cause detonation.; don't care what the MoCo says. Both bikes run high performance motors, moderate compression, .600" lift cams, etc.; one is EFI and one is carbed; both make lots of HP and TQ on 10% ethanol fuel and one does in 87 octane.

I run 87-89 octane in both with no issues except one of the motors has CCP above 190psi and in the hottest months of July and August in south Texas, I may have to go to 93 octane to avoid heat related detonation on that bike. There is no non-ethanol fuel available in my riding area which covers most of south, central and west Texas; at least not that I have found. I run 10% ethanol, Shell, Exxon or Chevron; nothing else; never stop at the little podunk stations in the boonies where the fuel may not be "fresh"; run some MMO through every 1000 miles or so and always, always, dump in some Star Tron stabilizer after every ride. Having two bikes, it is not unusual for one to sit for weeks before getting ridden again. I have never had an issue with ethanol damage to carb, fuel lines, etc. (knock on wood). I don't worry about mileage as neither bikes score well in that category but that is a direct function of the modifications and how I ride them; mileage is consistent but probably not as good as most of you guys get but, like I said, doesn't bother me.

So, you guys will have to forgive me if I am not as alarmed as some of you may be about ethanol; it is here to stay. I am hoping though that we don't see 15% ethanol anytime soon; that would give me cause for concern.:D

I believe it is Don, I've been adding it to my fuel for a while now and my scoot seems to like it. The best octane here in Colorado is 91 and that's what I've always put in her but my next fill I'm going to try 87 and see how it does. I won't endorse any products unless I see a noticeable change/improvement and with Duralt I don't see any downside to using it. :s

Back