free website stats program Ethanol gas | Harley Davidson Forums

Ethanol gas

Mongo1958

What are some of the known effects of Ethenol gas on later model Harleys?
I have a 09 Ultra. I use sea foam and Lucas gas treatments. My Ultra has 30k on it and so far runs pretty good.

Thanks

I have been using ethanol 10% gas for years and have seen no ill effect,I think the biggest problem is it will turn bad in as little as three months and a lot of people wont run thru a tankfull in that amount of time.BTW a few years ago I had a problem with my 07 egc turned out to be ecm related dealer said sea foam was bad for fuel injected HD`s, when I told him I had used it thinking it would cure my poor idling he wanted to clean the gas tank first then they found the fix and went a different direction,but he was dead set against seafoam...

Ethenol is hygroscopic, meaning it attracts/absorbs moisture from the atmosphere. Ethenol fuel left in a gas tank for an extended period (ie: seasonal storage of a lawnmower, motorcycle etc.) will attract moisture and promote rust or oxidation in the fuel tank and fuel system.

I personally wouldn't store any vehicle for an extended time with ethenol fuel in it for that reason. You should be fine if you use a product like Stab-il or Store-it in the fuel mix first. I choose to use non-ethenol fuel when I store my bike over the winter.

As far as everyday use, I haven't read anything to indicate that it will damage EFI or other fuel systems. Here in Canada, regular fuel is 10% Ethenol, mid-grade is 5%, and premium is usually Ethenol free. Petro-Canada's new Super Premium Ultra 94 Octane does contain Ethenol but I don't know what percentage.

I am now running Ultra 94 in my 2010 RKC and it runs like a Swiss watch. Very noticeable improvement. Expensive as all heck though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been using ethanol 10% gas for years and have seen no ill effect,I think the biggest problem is it will turn bad in as little as three months and a lot of people wont run thru a tankfull in that amount of time.BTW a few years ago I had a problem with my 07 egc turned out to be ecm related dealer said sea foam was bad for fuel injected HD`s, when I told him I had used it thinking it would cure my poor idling he wanted to clean the gas tank first then they found the fix and went a different direction,but he was dead set against seafoam...

Your dealer doesn't know what he's talking about, seafoam is a great product and won't hurt fuel injected engines. I use it all the time in all my gas powered engines and never had any issues.:bigsmiley12:

Tom, I've been using Sea Foam for years with out any fuel related issue.

Man I'd love to buy pure gas again. I wish we could at least have a choice like you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah at the time the dealer was trying to figure out what was wrong with the bike kinda think he was trying to avoid fixing it under warranty lucky for me the mechanic knew what was wrong and fixed it under warranty never talked seafoam again. Here in north texas we dont have a choice when it comes to gas you cant buy ethanol free gas,I ride enough it never has a chance to go bad, dont know what that storage thing is yall keep talking about ride year around down here....

After the recent storms and power outages here, I cleaned/fixed 10 carburetors on generators and pumps for friends. Even with Stabil,Seafoam,MMO etc. in the tank they were still plugged up with a "jello" like gum in them. And just think the taxpayers get to subsidize this junk fuel to the tune of .54 cents a gallon...When I have to store an engine for any length of time I either fill the tank with non-ethanol gas or 100LL aviation fuel.

Just found a gas station by me that has ethanol-free 93. 20 miles away but well worth the drive. My bike has never run better. Throttle response and power band is so much stronger without the ethanol. Blew me away the difference. Try it out and see if it improves your bike. I don't have a newer (EVO engine) bike so might be more of a difference in mine than a late model?

Back