free website stats program ethanol free | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

ethanol free

In my area, (ellenton, Fl.) we have 3 companies that have ethanol free fuel. Wawa, a new pilot and a Chevron. Chevron is also very proud of theirs. As a new Harley owner, I thought we were only supposed to use premium? In my Suzuki I used regular and when I used the pure gas I got about 15 mpg more.

In my area, (ellenton, Fl.) we have 3 companies that have ethanol free fuel. Wawa, a new pilot and a Chevron. Chevron is also very proud of theirs. As a new Harley owner, I thought we were only supposed to use premium? In my Suzuki I used regular and when I used the pure gas I got about 15 mpg more.

I run 89 ethanol free in my 07 Streetbob with NO problems

Is it really that big a difference? I mean one time I accidently put 89 in my dyna and I don't remember noticing anything out of the ordinary. Although I did add a full can of seafoam at the next refill with 93 octane...

Is it really that big a difference? I mean one time I accidently put 89 in my dyna and I don't remember noticing anything out of the ordinary. Although I did add a full can of seafoam at the next refill with 93 octane...

Off topic but,
premium & regular are really misnomers.
lower octane=higher flash point (more flammable)
higher octane= lower flash point (less flammable)

The higher the compression in your motor the higher the octane gas you need to combat pre-ignition.

Now the more you rev your motor you are also advancing the timing compounding the threat of pre-ignition.

So if all you can get is 87 octane, it's probably not the best time to have a race with your buddies :D

Off topic but,
premium & regular are really misnomers.
lower octane=higher flash point (more flammable)
higher octane= lower flash point (less flammable)

The higher the compression in your motor the higher the octane gas you need to combat pre-ignition.

Now the more you rev your motor you are also advancing the timing compounding the threat of pre-ignition.

So if all you can get is 87 octane, it's probably not the best time to have a race with your buddies :D

Good point stray dog, you know Harley recommends 91 octane minimum, so one doesn't want to use lower even if it's ethanol free.

I have found a station that is 93 octane pure and my bike runs great and:D a wee bit cooler

Back