free website stats program Ethanol as a fuel additive. | Harley Davidson Forums

Ethanol as a fuel additive.

horizonchaser

Contributor
I have searched the forum regarding ethanol as a fuel additive in the gasoline but what about adding it yourself as a fuel stabilizer instead of Stabil for winter storage? I say that because I recently just bought a powerful backpack leaf blower and while at he store this guy plops it on the counter as the cashier is ringing up my purchase and says "This is what you need. I use it in my bike". The seemingly knowledgable sales person readily agreed. I said " I use Stabil. Is it better than Stabil?" They heartily agreed that it was. So I figured what the heck, I'll give it a try. I'll use it sparingly.
What are your thoughts on using Ethanol as a fuel additive instead of Stabil for Winter storage? I don't usually use any additives to my fuel. It is generally not recommended to do so but many here have endorsed using Marvel Mystery Oil so I bought some and add like an ounce to a full tank of gas a couple of times a riding season at most. In the past I have filled my bike up with fresh gas and added some Stabil to it and took her for a short ride before putting her away for the season but now I am wondering if the Ethanol is a better choice.
Is it? Should I switch? Stabil has always served me well. Thanks!

Dont fix it if it aint broke. Never heard of this and unless it is very new it would have been mentioned somewhere. the stabil is tried and true you know it works cause uve used it. so why change. the mystery oil and sea foam arent bad products either but my thoughts on them are as a cleaner that breaks downjunk in your system and not a fuel stabilizer. I may be wrong but they were prolly tryin to get some more of your hard earned dough man.:newsmile058:

Are you sure that its Ethanol and not a type of Ethanol adative? Here in Florida we have a lot of problems with the ethanol fuel in our bikes but mainly in our boats and try to buy ethanol free fuel as often as possible. I for one would be very hesitant to any any more.

I wouldn't add MORE ethanol to the fuel, as a matter of fact I wish I could remove the ethanol that is in the fuel now. It contributes to the corrosion and deterioration in fuel systems.
Sta-bil is the only storage additive that should be used to stabilize the fuel.
Some Marvel mystery oil is a good additive to use to clean the fuel system and it can even be added to the oil prior to changing and run for a few hundred miles to clean the crank case out.

I think that your talking about a product called Star*Tron enzyme fuel treatment for ethanol type gas. It works great,use it in every machine I own.

Guys, I goofed! :( I thought it was an Ethanol additive. When I read that it "cures Ethanol problems", I think the Ethanol just stuck in my head as something that was a good additive. Sheesh! And to think I laid it out there for 60,000 member to see! Ugh!
Martillo had it right. That is exactly the product that I have. Thanks Martillo!n Glad to see that he endorses it and uses it in every machine that he owns.
Anyway, I have copied the link to the page. Please read it if you don't mind. Thanks for your replies. I sure didn't want to waste anyones time. Jim
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment - HOME

Good reading on Star Tron.....

It is recommended to always check the MSDS (online MSDS) of products before just arbitrarily dumping into your rather expensive motorcycle.

The MSDS that I found on Star Tron ended up indicating that it was made up of greater than 95% Naptha (Naphtha) which is what Coleman camp stove fuel is made up of.

Not sure how much the Star Tron costs but I would be a gallon of it would be much more expensive than a gallon of Coleman fuel, if one were to actually put Naptha in their gas tank.

naphtha Facts, information, pictures | Encyclopedia.com articles about naphtha

I've been using STAR-TRON for about two years now, In all my machines; Does it work, who knows? My bikes never sit long enough for the gas to get stale, But i figure it can't hurt so i use it.
For my generator, snow blower ATVs chainsaw, they tend to sit along time between use i've been using STABLE In them for over ten + years without a gas problem.

Back