ETC problem 08 RoadKing

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Pirate55, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Pirate55

Pirate55 New Member

I have intermittent, recurring issue with ETC going to limited performance mode, engine check lamp comes on and cruise control disconnects. I have had both cruise control switches replaced ( by qualified HD trained mechanic )and he has found no fault code to establish the issue. I believe this is first model with ride by wire, is there anything specific you can suggest.:newsmile011:

2. Redfish-Joe

Redfish-Joe Senior Member

Unplug the wires going into the throttle body and clean, reapply dielectric grease and see if that helps.

3. Hoople

Hoople Account Removed

Both can't be true. If the engine Check Light comes ON,, you have a stored code. You need to first know what the ECM thinks went wrong.

4. Pirate55

Pirate55 New Member

Thanks guys have found fault code using speedo diagnostic and numbers that show are not listed in fault codes. the numbers come up in P flashing and are P1510 and when P is pressed again it gives P2138. I have cleared these codes and rechecked diag bike runs fine then after a couple of starts the check lamp comes on again and the fault codes return. Does anybody know of these codes. :bigsmiley33:

Thanks Tank have codes P1510 and P2138 showing, these arent in the DTC list, I have cleared them, run the bike but they reappear after a few starts.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2013
  5. orgredneck

orgredneck Member

P1510 - Throttle actuation control management (limited performance mode)

P2138 - Throttle actuation control correlation error (2008 - 2009 models)

One of your twist grip sensor wires is shorted OR has come apart. Either will cause this failure.

Looking at the schematic, you should measure ground on pins 1 and 4. You should measure 5 volts on pins 6 and 3.
    Then at idle, you should measure either 5 volts or 0 volts on pins 5 and 2. As you roll on the throttle, the pin that measured 5 volts should slowly drop in voltage. The pin that measured 0 volts should slowly rise in voltage.

At any given point, if you add the two voltages, you should get approx 5 volts total

6. mrwizz

mrwizz Member Contributor

The first time I pulled the tank on my 09 flhtc when it only had a few thousand miles on it. Found the harness to the TCA was rubbing on the front head and had already worn through casing. Could have been a problem later on...just something else to check.

7. Lancer

Lancer Junior Member

Try this first!!!!!!!!!

I do this at every 5k service/pm now.

8. Pirate55

Pirate55 New Member

Thanks again Tank and other guys will try these suggestions and should fix problem.