free website stats program ETC problem 08 RoadKing | Harley Davidson Forums

ETC problem 08 RoadKing

Pirate55

I have intermittent, recurring issue with ETC going to limited performance mode, engine check lamp comes on and cruise control disconnects. I have had both cruise control switches replaced ( by qualified HD trained mechanic )and he has found no fault code to establish the issue. I believe this is first model with ride by wire, is there anything specific you can suggest.:newsmile011:

1) engine check lamp comes on

2) and he has found no fault code to establish the issue.

Both can't be true. If the engine Check Light comes ON,, you have a stored code. You need to first know what the ECM thinks went wrong.

Thanks guys have found fault code using speedo diagnostic and numbers that show are not listed in fault codes. the numbers come up in P flashing and are P1510 and when P is pressed again it gives P2138. I have cleared these codes and rechecked diag bike runs fine then after a couple of starts the check lamp comes on again and the fault codes return. Does anybody know of these codes. :bigsmiley33:

Thanks Tank have codes P1510 and P2138 showing, these arent in the DTC list, I have cleared them, run the bike but they reappear after a few starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
P1510 - Throttle actuation control management (limited performance mode)

P2138 - Throttle actuation control correlation error (2008 - 2009 models)

One of your twist grip sensor wires is shorted OR has come apart. Either will cause this failure.

Looking at the schematic, you should measure ground on pins 1 and 4. You should measure 5 volts on pins 6 and 3.
Then at idle, you should measure either 5 volts or 0 volts on pins 5 and 2. As you roll on the throttle, the pin that measured 5 volts should slowly drop in voltage. The pin that measured 0 volts should slowly rise in voltage.

At any given point, if you add the two voltages, you should get approx 5 volts total

The first time I pulled the tank on my 09 flhtc when it only had a few thousand miles on it. Found the harness to the TCA was rubbing on the front head and had already worn through casing. Could have been a problem later on...just something else to check.

Back