free website stats program Enricher Issues/Question | Harley Davidson Forums

Enricher Issues/Question

kidd2

my bike has always been a little cold natured, no biggie really, but recently when first starting, using the enricher like usual, its is reving up higher than it ever has, & if I take off immediately, it sputters more than ever, but after a few mins. I can push the enricher in & all's cool. any ideas why the faster idle? thanks

my bike has always been a little cold natured, no biggie really, but recently when first starting, using the enricher like usual, its is reving up higher than it ever has, & if I take off immediately, it sputters more than ever, but after a few mins. I can push the enricher in & all's cool. any ideas why the faster idle? thanks

This is common for an Evo with C V carb, have you tried 1/2 way out with the enrich er and let warm up a couple of minutes before riding off? Wait til rear rocker box is warm to touch

A change in the enrichner behavior could also point at an intake leak. The combination of air entering through the gaskets along with the fuel from the enrichner could create a higher than normal idle when you first start the bike. Hence the coughing and sputtering until it's fully warmed up. My evo seems to have a bad habit of not sealing well around the intake gaskets for any longer than a year at a time it seems. I've changed the manifold, realigned the heads carefully during the last rebuild etc and these pesky leaks still come back. I've learned to deal with the hour or so to swap the gaskets and $10 once a year. I've gotten very efficient at fixing it when it develops a leak and can tell just by the way the enrichner behaves and idles.

Just a thought...........

I think Al is on the right track. Are you noticing decceleration pop more? Spraying around the manifold seals with a petroleum based spray can help find an air leak by changing the idle speed.

Last edited:
Back