free website stats program English wheel | Harley Davidson Forums

English wheel

stickan

Hi all:hii
I need to do some body work on my old 45", and I've read about something called "english wheel" to form metall sheet. Anybody know where to find drawings/pictures or information if it's hard to handle. Does anybody out there have any experience in this matter?
I don't want to bye new parts, I would prefer to repair the old fenders and such.
Rgds
Stickan

I need to do some body work on my old 45", and I've read about something called "english wheel" to form metall sheet. Anybody know where to find drawings/pictures or information if it's hard to handle. Does anybody out there have any experience in this matter?
I don't want to bye new parts, I would prefer to repair the old fenders and such.
Rgds
Stickan

Harbor Freight?! carries one benchtop one for $90 or "non-English" floor one for $190. :newsmile018:
You will see their use by custom bike builiders like Paul Jr. & Vinny on OCC and American Choppers Jesse James, to "hand form" form sheet metal over this wheel and multi-wheel setup for fabricating fenders, complex fuel tank designs and various bits. Cold roll forming probably displaces metal smoother without stress than a leather headed "beater" over an anvil or hammer formed over dollys in days past! :s Nice to see old world tools used on older bikes...a more "bare knuckles" approach! :D

Last edited:
Rgds
Stickan

Try this site .. A buddy of mine is a member and everyone is helpfull. You have to join to look at all the postings. Its got everything ..

Metal Meet Forums - Powered by vBulletin

an english wheel isn't something you just buy,and use .You can ruin a part with it, just as easily as form it properly.It is definatly an art.I'm not saying what you are wanting to do is not possible ,but unless you are wanting to spend weeks getting the feel of it .Much less spending big bucks on a good one .You'd be ahead of the game just paying to have the work done .A Bud of mine has one (english wheel) and it has taken him years to get good at it .I've tried it a couple of times .I'm still in the "ruin the part" category.

an english wheel isn't something you just buy,and use .You can ruin a part with it, just as easily as form it properly.It is definatly an art.I'm not saying what you are wanting to do is not possible ,but unless you are wanting to spend weeks getting the feel of it .Much less spending big bucks on a good one .You'd be ahead of the game just paying to have the work done .A Bud of mine has one (english wheel) and it has taken him years to get good at it .I've tried it a couple of times .I'm still in the "ruin the part" category.

I agree with motorheadmarine on this . I tried my buddies english wheel and its definately an art. Almost lost my thumb in the rollers.

I have an English Wheel, and I learned how to use it on Metalmeet (great site by the way)-English Wheels aren't the end all for Metal Shaping, they originally built Maserati's and such using a hollowed out Stump and wooden Mallett's-

It is like anything, you have to practice-make a Bowl first, then move up progressively. I would buy (or make) a Beater Bag, get some good Dollies (get good ones like Martin), and make a Slapper. Along with some quality Body Hammers (again, I like Martin, they are the Cat's Pajamas!) and you can be on the way to making a mess with Metal!

Thanks for all information guys
I have joined the metal meet forums, thanks for the tip Dangerdan :D. Lots of valuable information there. I have realized there’s a pinch hazard involved using the wheel. However, it would be fun to give it a try. On the other hand, it’s also nice to have all fingers intact.:s
Don’t want to ruin any parts, so I’ll have to think it over a bit.
When it’s done I’ll let you know how it was done
Rgds
Stickan

Rgds
Stickan

Sorry I am so late to post this. Hopefully you have already taken care of it. If not, see here:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItemList.do?search.keyword=english+wheel&submit=find+it

TQ

Back