free website stats program English Newbie with sparks problem | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

English Newbie with sparks problem

reference the broken part = screw timer plate, and before you ask the next question the part number i have for it is = 32606-82
there are some parts lists available on this site and parts are v.a.t. free

VAT Free Harley Davidson Parts

Brian

You need that condenser (capacitor). Go to the Accel catalog or web-site and look up that coil and see what the required matching condenser is. The condenser value (uf) is chosen to match the inductance of the coil primary winding. The condenser can almost be mounted anywhere so keep looking for it. It is a required component so if it is missing, install one.

It is important to realize that coils are designed to be used for a particular ignition. A points (kettering) system coil can be used in a CDI application, but a CDI coil can not be used in a points system. The primary resistance determines if a ballast resistor must be used. You can not just take any coil and hook it up in any application.

Get the specs for that coil and upload them so all can see. If the coil you are using is designed for a HD POINTS application, then maybe all you need is a capacitor.

Z...welcome to HDtalking and bringing a bit of British humor to the forum. Fin and Hoop have you covered, and as they and HDDon pointed out, that condenser is necessary for 2 reasons, 1 to prevent arcing of the points, the other is a sharper collapse of the electric surge to the ignition coil so the spark discharge will be sharp step rather than a slow ramp. :s

Ahhhh brings back the days of rack mounted cart loaded with Sun Electronic Diagnostic Equipment, test lights and dwell meters...eh maybe not so many good memories too...! :newsmile100:

Last edited:
You need that condenser (capacitor). Go to the Accel catalog or web-site and look up that coil and see what the required matching condenser is. The condenser value (uf) is chosen to match the inductance of the coil primary winding. The condenser can almost be mounted anywhere so keep looking for it. It is a required component so if it is missing, install one.

It is important to realize that coils are designed to be used for a particular ignition. A points (kettering) system coil can be used in a CDI application, but a CDI coil can not be used in a points system. The primary resistance determines if a ballast resistor must be used. You can not just take any coil and hook it up in any application.

Get the specs for that coil and upload them so all can see. If the coil you are using is designed for a HD POINTS application, then maybe all you need is a capacitor.

Some of the knock off points had tiny built in condensors, did not work very well or very long, Napa brand were called Uni points, If I ran points I would run Blue Streak with a seperate condensor

interesting name,interesting problem,and interesting bike...great sence of humor,what you at in this country of permanent rainy season??

"Zenataomm" I am sure most of you will have realised refers to Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

A book I read when it first came out in 1974 when I was both young and good looking. I didn't understand a word of it. However now I am just good looking and have realised that sanity was driving me mad the book has taken on a new meaning.

Timer Stud eh? That's a cunning label and certainly uses words that have never applied to me. Although my first girlfriend said I was a hopeless lover, I never understood how she could tell after only 28 seconds.

This should be post number something or other so I reckon I can post photies in the next one ............

Back