free website stats program Engine won't start | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine won't start

behavin

I have a 2011 Tri Glide with the 103 engine. Last year I had a Harley dealership change my exhaust to true duels Vance and Hines headers and Rinehart mufflers. They also installed a power commander for better performance. It doesn't do it all the time, but lately, when I try to start it, it will crank and crank and not start. I took it to the dealer that installed everything and they tell me that they reset the power commander and it works fine. Also that the power commander may be getting weak. Has anyone ever experienced this problem and should I go back to the Harley computer?

It doesn't do it all the time, but lately, when I try to start it, it will crank and crank and not start.

But it eventually starts. At that moment after starting, how does it run? Once running, is everything fine.

Hard starting when HOT, COLD or both. Is the issue temperature dependent?

The power commander can block DTC codes from reaching the speedo but perform a WOW test anyway to see if any codes are logged.

You said it doesn't do it all the time but how often does this problem happen. Can you count on it happening at least one time in the course of 10 starts.

Great point Tank. After looking at the schematic, most of what they say is true.. They say "The fuel pump may come on instantly, after a few engine revolutions, or on some bikes seemingly not at all" which is not entirely accurate because on a proper functioning bike, as soon as the crank flags start passing the crank sensor (during cranking), the fuel pump immediately comes back on.

More likely there may be a few seconds needed for the PC to finish re-booting from loosing power....but without actually testing for that to be the case, it's only a guess.

I really can't understand why they would even choose that point in the electrical system to tap for power. That doesn't make any sense to me especially if the PC takes any time at all to boot its firmware.

But it eventually starts. At that moment after starting, how does it run? Once running, is everything fine.

Hard starting when HOT, COLD or both. Is the issue temperature dependent?

The power commander can block DTC codes from reaching the speedo but perform a WOW test anyway to see if any codes are logged.

You said it doesn't do it all the time but how often does this problem happen. Can you count on it happening at least one time in the course of 10 starts.
The engine runs fine once it has started. This has happened with cold and hot engine temps. It has happened three times in one day but has not done it again. Harley said it disconnected the PC and then plugged it back in which in turn has reset it according to them.

This is all good information here. Next time I go for a ride I will try your suggestions and see what happens. Thanks.

Back