free website stats program engine wine | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine wine

Curious about using the Dexron III in the primary. Do others use this?
Ok changed fluids , adjusted clutch and primary chain, put in 3 quarts moble 1 20-50 v twin oil (engine only) primary filled with dextron lll 1 quart. buttoned it all up test ride around block, everything ok. SO took her out for a nice ride me and the OL. 160 miles today hills,flat ground , freeway and back roads. quess what not one gash dang whine from her at all.I even ran her at wot then come to a crawl got a little warm , but no whining what so ever. MY conclusion is she was telling me it's time to change her fluids. so im thinking she just talks to me , telling me when to change her fluids.
What do ya'll think of that. Oh and i like the way the clutch works now too much smoother than before and it seems to grab better too.:D
oh ya temps today was 80's the days she was whining where 90's .

Curious about using the Dexron III in the primary. Do others use this?

I also found the choice of Dextron III interesting, considering it is an auto transmission fluid. Seems to me it would not have the proper viscosity and additives. I will be curious to see Jack or Bubbie comment on this.

I'm curious to hear the thoughts on this too. My initial reaction was that it is a poor choice, but I'm having a hard time figuring out why it would be bad. An automatic transmission uses wet clutches, several of them also use chains, and the automatic transmission fluid is also asked to lubricate the gear set and perform as hydraulic oil. Maybe it's not such a bad choice after all?

well a lot of stick transmissions use atf and 4x4 gear boxs use atf . most newer transmissions use atf. i can tell the difference with the clutch. but thats me.

I also found the choice of Dextron III interesting, considering it is an auto transmission fluid. Seems to me it would not have the proper viscosity and additives. I will be curious to see Jack or Bubbie comment on this.

IMHO...... MY choice for the Primary IS of course MTL synthetic by REDLINE...

I also suggest Formula + VERY Often.

I never suggest Automatic Fluid... Some clutches DO demand the ATF...

I Don't experiment ........:small3d023:

I just follow the Norm that has PROVEN to work GOOD...

signed....BUBBIE

Barnett requires ATF, IMO ATF has friction modifiers, I would not use it Never had problems with Formula + Keep in mind ATF in cars is under pressure, not so in a Harley primary

Barnett requires ATF, IMO ATF has friction modifiers, I would not use it Never had problems with Formula + Keep in mind ATF in cars is under pressure, not so in a Harley primary

It is only under pressure inside the valve body. It is not under pressure where it interacts with the clutch plates, gears, chains, bearings, etc...

It is only under pressure inside the valve body. It is not under pressure where it interacts with the clutch plates, gears, chains, bearings, etc...

It works GOOD under pressure, this is 1 of the main reasons it is used in many hydraulic cylinders. I use it in ALL of my jacks:s

It does indeed work well under pressure. The ATF used in Chrysler's new 9 speed is good for the life of the unit. There isn't even a dipstick on that transmission.

Back