free website stats program Engine Wants to Shut Down after Full Throttle | Page 6 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Wants to Shut Down after Full Throttle

The TSSM purchased 6 years ago was for my model and checking the instuctions received with it it is the correct one. Back than I had a Power Commander installed to run my 95 ci so had to marry the TSSM with the stock ECM.

When changing over to TMax 12 months ago (prior to 103 ci upgrade) the TMax installation doesn't require you to marry the TSSM...I can only assume the TMax system gathers all this information itself during the setup procedure. Hmmm! interesting?

F.Y.I. I've attached a copy of the TMax instructions for you to better understand the system

Attachments

• 309-360 SmartLink IV Tuning Manual.pdf
    3.1 MB · Views: 6
What I really am interested to know, is if the ThunderMax inhibits the starter and system relay when the FOB is not present and also does a start attempt set the alarm off (4-way flasher) if you try to start the bike without the FOB nearby.

Thanks for the manual. Downloaded and open with no problem. Can you open your own posted file?

My FOB system is a manual type, manually push button only to set alarm or disarm and or able to setup up the alarm to be active after a time delay after ignition switched off. The FOB types you see on newer bikes wasn't available back than.

I did a search on the TMax website and the only mention of alarm TSSM systems is in their frequently Q@A i.e. Q: will my alarm system work with TMax. A: Yes!

There is no other reference to TSSM, nor do the instructions as attached on previous post include any information...might be worth me asking the TMax Tech team?

Hoople, I had a big ride yesterday (Patch Club - Poker Run) ran my bike hard many times throughout the day and was surprised that I didn't experience my dead decel fault once...the fault doesn't seem to exist any more but it must surely be lurking in the system somewhere. I still feel it must have been to do with me washing my bike which the turn signals did play up after doing so. Been on Harley's since the late 70's and never used a Gurnie before until this once due to being in a rush for a bike show...never again!

Anyway yesterday my Speedo finally transmitted a DTC after having the Security Key indicating a Historic DTC logged, as done last week. You'll recall last week no DTC code was logged but the security key light did indicate one was present and I was only able to clear the none DTC with going through the turn signal procedure.

The code logged is U1255 -Serial data error/missing message. This relates to data between my Speedo, ECM & TSSM. My speedo a Dakota MCL-2004, my ECM a Thundermax Autotune and a stock 2004 HD TSSM.

PS: no I can't open my own PDF file posted, I get the same error as I did with your's, able to down load it but it'll not open?

Considering my mixed up systems, i.e. Dakota, TMax & HD have all worked very well together for over 60 hours engine run time, prior to my Dead Decel fault, Security fault and now a U1255 code one would assume that the mixed brands have nothing to do with the problem.

My TSSM electrical connection seems to be the obvious cause...maybe water in the electrical connection (plug) at first, then condensation and now fully dry hence the fault demonising as it has?

As mentioned I’ll be replacing my starter over the next couple of weeks and doing a fully service on the bike. All connectors cleaned and greased and my TSSM made secure.

. . . . . . . .
The code logged is U1255 -Serial data error/missing message. This relates to data between my Speedo, ECM & TSSM. My speedo a Dakota MCL-2004, my ECM a Thundermax Autotune and a stock 2004 HD TSSM.
. . . . . . .

Jamesn that Dakota should have it's "own" method of retrieving codes. It's similar to the HD method. You still have the Dakota manual ? (if not you can download it at their site.

Seems I remember you had to get your codes via the signal buttons ? You shouldn't have to do that with the Dakota unless it cannot communicate with the TM, but I would think it should.

RWB, the U1255 code is being read from the Dakota gauge...codes are retreaved the same way as HD Speedo's. It's only just till now that a code is being displayed, prior there was no codes or any indication of faults, than it was a historic fault indicated by security light with no code and only able to be cleared by turn signal procedure. Today I experienced U1255 after every run and is easily cleared by the speedo DTC clearing procedure. The bikes performance isn't affected in anyway what so ever?

RWB, the U1255 code is being read from the Dakota gauge...codes are retreaved the same way as HD Speedo's. It's only just till now that a code is being displayed, prior there was no codes or any indication of faults, than it was a historic fault indicated by security light with no code and only able to be cleared by turn signal procedure. Today I experienced U1255 after every run and is easily cleared by the speedo DTC clearing procedure. The bikes performance isn't affected in anyway what so ever?

Hmmm I guess your bike is a mix of attributes or I'm just ignorant to some facets in this area, since I've never heard of a -> " historic fault indicated by security light with no code and only able to be cleared by turn signal procedure" <- ?

On my old HD console (or the replacement Dakota one) "any" codes current or historic are retrieved thru the Dakota console via the push button sequence. I have no knowledge of any other method or faults.

There is a troubleshoot Flow Chart for the U1255 code though. If Hoople doesn't get this for you I will try to search it down later. I've got to get some work done outside today.

Thanks RWB, I've a full tech manual so no need for the toobleshoot flow charts as I have them all for a 2004 FLSTCI. I've another bike show next weekend and after will be installing my new starter where I'll be able to access all of the locations suggested.

Had the chance to ride today (150 miles), played with the throttle and RPM throuhout the ride. Now even the DTC of U1255 recently experienced is no longer being presented. Everything is running normal? Therefore, my decel fault must have been caused by water? However I did notice my charging system (stater/regulater) is playing up, nothing unexpected since they're almost 8 years old with over 80,000 miles clocked up and 2 engine rebiulds. Might replace these when installing my new starter.

Had the chance to ride today (150 miles), played with the throttle and RPM throuhout the ride. Now even the DTC of U1255 recently experienced is no longer being presented. Everything is running normal? Therefore, my decel fault must have been caused by water? However I did notice my charging system (stater/regulater) is playing up, nothing unexpected since they're almost 8 years old with over 80,000 miles clocked up and 2 engine rebiulds. Might replace these when installing my new starter.

Good Deal, you have a very nice custom bike, now would be time to upgrade to a better charging system Best of luck

Back