free website stats program Engine Wants to Shut Down after Full Throttle | Page 5 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Wants to Shut Down after Full Throttle

As far as I can tell, that is a valid TSSM test procedure but not for a 2004 Injected Softail. Are you getting your info from 2004 Softail manuals?
My guess is the 44 code is erroneous and not valid for your year/type of bike.

Take a look and tell me what you think. Look at the steps to config a Softail for side-car.
My manual states the only way to get TSSM codes from an injected Delphi is through a speedo WOW test or Digital tech.

If you are using 2004 Softail manuals (Service & Electrical), tell me the chapter & page numbers so I can compare.

Attachments

• Code 44.pdf
    85.7 KB · Views: 23
As far as I can tell, that is a valid TSSM test procedure but not for a 2004 Injected Softail. Are you getting your info from 2004 Softail manuals?
My guess is the 44 code is erroneous and not valid for your year/type of bike.

Take a look and tell me what you think. Look at the steps to config a Softail for side-car.
My manual states the only way to get TSSM codes from an injected Delphi is through a speedo WOW test or Digital tech.

If you are using 2004 Softail manuals (Service & Electrical), tell me the chapter & page numbers so I can compare.

Hey Hoop ---- would it make a difference that the OP's bike is a 04 tc88 modified to a 103 ?

Hey Hoop ---- would it make a difference that the OP's bike is a 04 tc88 modified to a 103 ?

I don't think it should. Even though the bike is no longer pure Delphi, the TSSM doesn't really know that and will probably still try to commo to the speedo with it's error codes. I am not really up on the ThunderMax system but at least that's what I think will happen.

Hoople, I agree it's not the valid TSSM test procedure for a 2004 model, the workshop tech manual say's that DTC's are only able to be retrived using a Digital Technician and or Speedo. The Thundermax system replaces the Digital Technician enabling you to connect via PC to retreve codes and my speedo also shows these codes. However, neither show any codes yet my TSSM security key light indicates that a code is present when I experience it. And then I'm only able to clear the TSSM DTC by going through the TSSM code retrival and clearing procedure.

For some reason after downloading your code 44 pdf I'm unable to open it?

One thing that needs to be understood is that my bike, engine, thundermax & TSSM has been working excellent for the past 12 months...and since my recent 103 upgrade everything worked perfectly for 2 months. Then all I can recall is that I washed my bike and made a custom seat and then over night my Dead Decell apeared and now my TSSM DTC's.

Last edited by a moderator:
And then I'm only able to clear the TSSM DTC by going through the TSSM code retrival and clearing procedure.

I think that's part of the problem. Your using a retrieval and clearing procedure used on magnetti morelli systems,, not Delphi. At least that is how I see it.

It may be more clear if you were able to open the PDF. Don't understand why you can't. I just re-opened it again. I will check w/ Mod.

Hoople, thanks for the document, the manual is the same that I'm using...strange that I'm unable to open your copy when attached to the Forum.

I'm back home this weekend so will read through it again. One thing I noticed that I haven't been doing is resetting the TSSM each time I've disconnected the battery...but it's never caused an issue over the past 6 years (since TSSM installed). I'll go through the full proceeure of setting up the TSSM again.

Do you think this may have something to do with my Dead Decel?

Over the next couple of weeks I'm installing a new Spyke 1.4kW starter as mine has just about seen it's days. First an 88ci than 95ci and now 103ci (10:1 comp) and now with 80,000 miles on the clock it's just about had it, clutch slipping and finding it difficult to kick the engine when cold. So during the process I'l be removing my oil tank and rear end so I'll be able to inspecting my TSSM and all the wiring in this area making sure all are good, cleaned, lubed and secure.

the manual is the same that I'm using...
Do you think this may have something to do with my Dead Decel?

The manual I sent you can't be the same as the one your using. When you get a chance to really read it, you will see it says nothing about pulling codes the way you are doing it.

I think your chasing a ghost with the 44 error code. Your TSSM may be logging a code, but I feel the unit itself is probably good. But even if it was bad, I just can't see it causing the de-acceleration problem. The set of conditions you would have to have would be 1 in a million. I am just weighing the possibilities.

It's too bad you don't have a Super Tuner because then you would be able to temporarily re-install the original Delphi ECM, program the correct cubic inch and load a set of maps that would be close enough for testing. You would checkmate this problem in 3 moves or less.

The complete manual I have is identical to the part you sent. I obtained the TSM/TSSM diagnostic procedure from the internet not knowing it wasn't suitable for my model...just that the procedure reacted the same and gave a code I assumed it was for my model.

I do have access to a new Power Commander to use my original ECM, also another TMax system but haven't gone down that track yet...still hoping to record an inflight recording for the TMax tech team

Earlier I said I had no experience with ThunderMax so help me understand a few things about the ThunderMax. When you installed the TSSM did you have to marry the TSSM to the ThunderMax in the same way you must marry a TSSM to a Delphi ECM? When you join a Delphi TSSM to a ThunderMax, does the ThunderMax inhibit cranking and ignition the same way as a Delphi would when a key fob is not present?

When you upgraded to a TSSM, did you purchase a TSSM for a 2004 Softail. Is the installed TSSM a perfect match to your year bike?

Back