free website stats program Engine Vibration in 08 Ultra | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Vibration in 08 Ultra

...Any thoughts and diagnosis would be appreciated...

Do you know if it has the "old" style fuel filter or the new one???

I've seen a couple other reports of similar symptoms with the old fuel filter.

Account removed by request.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't stand it anymore so I called 2 different dealers to get some answers. First of all, I'm not an expert, but told them I was concerned about several running issues with the crank shaft in my model year. I mentioned, that I had not started it in several weeks and was ready to store it for the winter. They both said that the crank shaft problem was doubtful since the vibes were not apparent b4 but now are. Both suggested a fouled plug, which I will check. I hope thats all it is but will be at their doorstep if it is not. Thanks for all the tips.

They both said that the crank shaft problem was doubtful since the vibes were not apparent b4 but now are. Both suggested a fouled plug, which I will check. I hope thats all it is but will be at their doorstep if it is not. Thanks for all the tips.

I agree with Lew here. What were they thinking. If the crank went out, it wouldn't be vibrating before and it would be now. Typical dealer response and doesn't surprise me at all.
They must have both read the same book on "lame customer excuses for problems" by Can'tfixit Daily.

A fouled plug would cause more than a vibration.:s

The engine would be shaking itself almost to death.

You're right there Gary. I use the term "dealer" as meaning the writers, managers and the grunts working in the back.

They are all responsible in some way for the way the customer is treated. The grunt by not knowing his job and the writers and managers by not knowing theirs or not willing to do it if they do know it and taking the easy way out.

Either way they are pushing $$$ out the door like you mentioned.

Again Thanks for all the tips and advice. I did some checking and removed the plugs and made sure there was no excess condensation anywhere, wiring and other electrical areas per 2 of the dealers I talked with. I did notice a discoloration in one of the plugs (front jug) and the other look normal. Cleaned it and put some RemOil, that someone recommended, (top cylinder lube) in the cylinder. Didn't start her up cause it was below zero outside, not much better in my garage. I have stabilized the fuel, set the battery tender and will wait until March. My dealer did not play down the a possible crank problem, but suggested that I bring it when possible and they would check it. They want to road test it to check, but in Maine that won;t be until late March, early April anyway. I'll bind my time for now and I'll keep learning stuff. Thanks

Again Thanks for all the tips and advice. I did some checking and removed the plugs and made sure there was no excess condensation anywhere, wiring and other electrical areas per 2 of the dealers I talked with. I did notice a discoloration in one of the plugs (front jug) and the other look normal. Cleaned it and put some RemOil, that someone recommended, (top cylinder lube) in the cylinder. Didn't start her up cause it was below zero outside, not much better in my garage. I have stabilized the fuel, set the battery tender and will wait until March. My dealer did not play down the a possible crank problem, but suggested that I bring it when possible and they would check it. They want to road test it to check, but in Maine that won;t be until late March, early April anyway. I'll bind my time for now and I'll keep learning stuff. Thanks

I would find a way to get it in. That way it will be ready to ride when you are. You may find it in the shop during riding season otherwise. Just tell them to be sure it is warm prior to starting it. Good luck.

Back