free website stats program Engine Vibration in 08 Ultra | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Vibration in 08 Ultra

I have an 08 Ultra that has developed a strong engine vibration never felt before. I hadn't started it for 2 weeks, she cranked right away, let it idle down while I wipe it down. It settled a 1000 rpm, but as soon as I started rev'ing the throttle a little, a vibration occurred at 2000 rpm enough to blurred the instruments, mirrors, and fairing. Normally, the shakes went away quickly as it rev'd over 1400 but not this time.
I'm not sure if this is a timing issue or engine mount is loose, not sure. This is my first Harley and very curious as to whats happening.

Any thoughts and diagnosis would be appreciated.

Thanks

do a search on these forums for crank shaft run out...not saying it is definate as there could be other reasons but some of the 08s have issues with the run out..good luck

I have an 08 Ultra that has developed a strong engine vibration never felt before. I hadn't started it for 2 weeks, she cranked right away, let it idle down while I wipe it down. It settled a 1000 rpm, but as soon as I started rev'ing the throttle a little, a vibration occurred at 2000 rpm enough to blurred the instruments, mirrors, and fairing. Normally, the shakes went away quickly as it rev'd over 1400 but not this time.
I'm not sure if this is a timing issue or engine mount is loose, not sure. This is my first Harley and very curious as to whats happening.

Any thoughts and diagnosis would be appreciated.

Thanks

This could possibly be the reason for the vibrations.

Crankshaft Runout (videos) - Harley Davidson Community

Crankshaft Runout Inspection - Harley Davidson Community

Chain Driven Cams And A Twisting Crank - Harley Davidson Community

The more I read about the problem (crank shaft run out) the more I believe this is the case.
My dealer has been good to me, sales and service, pricey but fair. This may be a dumb question but Is this a common enough problem with the Twin Cam that the dealer is aware of and am I up for a fight on repair?

thanks all,

The more I read about the problem (crank shaft run out) the more I believe this is the case.
My dealer has been good to me, sales and service, pricey but fair. This may be a dumb question but Is this a common enough problem with the Twin Cam that the dealer is aware of and am I up for a fight on repair?

thanks all,

Common enough that HD has issued a technical bulletin on it to their network.

Is your engine the 96ci, or larger?

You should take the bike in as soon as possible and start the paper trail process. Once the problem (runout) gets bad enough, problems and even complete failure of the oil pump can ensue. In a catastrophic failure, the oil pump can quit working and be damaged scattering parts in the engine.

Get it checked out.

TQ

Do as TQ suggests and get it into the dealer to check out the run out.It's the best and safest way.

Myself, I would run it on the highway and let it grenade , then they will replace the whole engine vice just the crank as long as you don't get hurt trying this way.

Top Techs are calling the 103" flywheels junk, not so with the SE 103" wheels
not sure what the difference is, just what I've heard
HD put 103" wheels in the TC88 to get 96"
My theory...that compensating rap you hear when a 96" is started acts as an impact devise to jar the crank pin, much like useing an impact gun on the CS
You may say I am full of it but what else is different between the 88 and 96...
Think about it...

Sounds like a Decent Theory to me .. My question is how come all 96's dont sound the same at start up did they make a change mid year my buddies early 08 knocks big time at start up mine doesn't

To add to this, I heard that the manufacturing processes were changed for the newer cranks which could mean about the same thing.

True considering the starter is only pulling on the left hand side it could verywell be causing and impact and problems.

How many miles do you have on it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back