free website stats program Engine Vibration 08 Deluxe? | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Vibration 08 Deluxe?

Ride4Two

Hi everyone. I have read alot of posts through this forum as well as other forums regarding my condition I am observing on my bike. I still have a concern ( which may be normal) regarding my 5th gear. From what I have heard, 1st and 5th gear are straight cut gears on my six speed tranny, as to the other gears being helical cut. I have kind of always noticed a heavier vibration in 5th gear at 60mph while pulling towards 70 to get into sixth gear. It feels like the lower end is going to give way (box of rocks grinding feeling). Keep in mind, this bike has less than 3k on it. All liquids were changed to synthetics at her first service. I know there are not alot of miles on the bike for its year, but I was very sick shortly after I purchased the bike, so I am making up for it now that I am healthy again.
I just put V&H BSS exhaust, Big Sucker, and a TFI unit on the bike. The bike is not stuttering, backfiring, and performs very smoothly at idle also. Is this a normal thing for this year bike with this type tranny? I know harleys always have had a vibration. I guess I am not used to the situation at hand. Once I am in sixth gear, the rocks seem to go away ( for lack of better words). Like I said before, I have read alot about this "so called" issue. But I wanted to ask the good people on this forum if this is a normal thing or a major issue (which I do not believe it is)? I like to sleep comfortable if you know what i mean. Thank you to all than can shed some insight or help. Just want to be safe on this situation. Thanks again.

The Stealers will say they all do it, maybe have them check it out do you have any warranty left?

What type of synthetics went into the transmission? When I had Formula+ in the tranny (its not a sync...) it rattled a bit, going to Mobil 1 gear lube help, going to Spectro 6speed helped even more. I still get some rattle when I'm in 5th gear between 50 and 55 but it smooths out after that.

My guess is if you have Sync3 in the trans, going to a true gear lube will help out.

Amsoil was replaced in everything. No, I do not have any warranty left. It was only 2 years and because of my health, I did not have a chance to really ride the bike like I do know. Don't get me wrong. I did take it out and run it at good speed on a weekly basis. But, I did not get the chance to take extended rides with my wife like I do now. I really don't feel its a major problem, but if thats the way it is supposed to be, then I am alright with that.
I just wanted to make sure. Thanks for all the help. I cannot afford to a serious problem at this time. Times are tough for alot of us, as I just am looking for some security about this condition.

I have an 09 Deluxe with about 6500 miles. I use Spectro synthetic 20-50 in the engine and Spectro HD primary oil along with Spectro 6 speed transmission oil. The tranny is very quiet and I don't have the dreaded 5th gear noise. I think this is one of the best transmission oils for the Harley. You may want to try it because I have heard nothing but good comments about its' performance.

Glider, the receipt for the service just says" severe gear". Is this vibration being caused by the tranny or the actual engine? I really don't have any noise problem. Its just the 5th gear vibration issue. Thanks agin for all that are helping me out. I appreciate it.

It sounds like they put the gear oil in there so that's a good thing. The vibration in the bike could be a harmonic based on the speed and the gear it is in. What happens if you downshift to the next lower gear when you feel this vibration?

Next change you may want to try the Spectro line of oils and gear oil. It will make a noted difference in the bike.

Use this as a guide to the proper operating speeds for each gear...

RPM's vs Speed 5 6 Speeds - Harley Davidson Community

Glider, I shift pretty much like everyone else I have read on the forums. I'll check your method out tomorrow. The guys who did my first service told me today to bring the bike down and they would check it out and road test it at no charge at all. They stand behind their work and don't want anyone to have a problem with their machine. Their very good people. I will try the spectro next month when changing out the fluids. I'll let you know how things pan out tomorrow. Thanks again.

Glider, I shift pretty much like everyone else I have read on the forums. I'll check your method out tomorrow. The guys who did my first service told me today to bring the bike down and they would check it out and road test it at no charge at all. They stand behind their work and don't want anyone to have a problem with their machine. Their very good people. I will try the spectro next month when changing out the fluids. I'll let you know how things pan out tomorrow. Thanks again.

Just to make you feel Better......
My friend Bought a 08 roadglide and after the first day, called me saying he wanted to take it back to get his trade-in back.. Asking him why?

The first gear and fifth gear made a terrible vibrating Noise.. said like gravel...

I suggested the cure,
I gave him a Quart of ""Redline Shockproof Heavy"".... Changing lube out of his tranny to the Redline, After about 2 hours of riding, Called me to thank me about the Redline saying the Noise was completely gone and the tranny was Quiet and shifted Smoother...

Saved his day!

Many here speak Only Good of the spectro tranny lube but I have only dealt with REDLINE and many others Here on HDTimeline have Also.

Your choice but PLEASE "one" or the "other" ONLY!

It will make Your Day!

signed....BUBBIE

Back