free website stats program engine upgrade | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine upgrade

Just curious Bubbie, why Kirby for the cylinders and not the heads or vice verse?

I KNOW they Both do good work.

Don Dorfman lived about 30 minutes away from me up in Wa.
I never met him in person, Just on the forums of which he is a member.
My wife and I met his wife by Freaky conversation about bikes at a fast food place... We were on my bike and she said My Husband and I ride also...

She Mention her husband Don,,,,,,,The I said Dorfman? YES she surprisingly said......and then we went into conversation... Don and I knew each other but not in person. I did plan Long ago that He would do my heads.
I had him sell me a set of 08 pristine heads to work with. PR's and also drill and tap the threads needed for the King on the front head.

Long ago, I talked to Don on the phone a few times and wanted to see his shop up in Edgewood Wa. (20/30 min. away) I was passing close one day and called him, he said to just drop by and his wife would be there to Talk and show the shop.

I was VERY impressed with his shop and tools. I never got the heads done Until later as I was Down here in Az. (both places lived)

He had Bought the business fro Dewey's Heads some time back and has come Leaps and Bounds furthering the Designs and his ability (superior) to many others. Don ranks High and so does Kirby...

Now Kirby prodrag1320, was After I made arrangements for the Heads and got them IN... Not sure How I was going to get the cylinders done ? send in My cylinder or Buy a set of used and have them done. The Latter is what I did.

Sending Kirby the Seasoned cylinders, Rings, SE Pistons, for the bore and final fitting, he did all...

That Boring to fit properly is Very Important as the Small 103" Tuna Cans have problems IF too loosely fitted, they want to turn Sideways and then you have Piston Slap... Knowing from others that Kirby is the man. !!!

Knowing Both do BOTH I would have NO Problem having Either one do my work.

Okay-dokey?

I have Steered Clear of the Build you can buy ready to go... I've been BURNT before Buying KITS as parts were just tossed together off the shelf and NOT fitted like I wanted My Job...

Quite frankly IF it cost a little more to get it done BY THE BEST and Peace-meal it...NO Problem in my book... This is one reason MY build runs so good. Only the best did the work...

signed....BUBBIE

Hi all. I bought the 120R and the first thing I did was to take the valve springs out and put in some AV&V 6500's and shimmed them .030 to set the seat pressure down to 179lbs from ~200 and 385 from ~525 on the nose. Then I purchased the 64mm throttle body and the 6.7gram/second injectors. I modified the racing velocity stack to accept a Specter air filter. I was already using a Powervision by Dynojet, so I contacted them and told them my setup. The next business day they sent me a base-line tune to get me started out with, and by the next afternoon, I had got it into shape. The power was better than my hotrodded Suzuki M109R, but with half the tire on the ground it got pretty exciting. I an now in the process of changing out the cams, lifters, and push-rods to T-Man 660sm's, S&S with HL2T lifters, and S&S tapered push-rods. The heat issue is there, but I run cooler than my friend's 110CVO Road Glide. I installed an Ultra-Cool oil cooler and the fans have turned on maybe 10 times since March. I have my own "secret" octane boost concoction that I run in the bike, but there is an airport near me, so if I show up with gas cans, I can buy 110/110 low-lead to fuel up at home with. The Powervision has anti-knock timing retard that you can adjust. I have put over 2000 miles on it and these are my humble thoughts on the 120R motor. I would buy it again, but I would exchange the parts that I mentioned BEFORE I installed it into the bike.:good

Back