free website stats program Engine turns over but no fire | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine turns over but no fire

cslisz

Engine will turn over but no fire to the either plug. Checked all wiring and is good, was running fine, quit all of a sudden. 110 inch Revtech 2 lights on internal ignition, one status, one voes. Neither are lit with key on or when trying to start. Is my ignition module bad? Please help, I am new to this forum and frustrated.

Taz

Engine will turn over but no fire to the either plug. Checked all wiring and is good, was running fine, quit all of a sudden. 110 inch Revtech 2 lights on internal ignition, one status, one voes. Neither are lit with key on or when trying to start. Is my ignition module bad? Please help, I am new to this forum and frustrated.

Taz,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great info in the Self-Help pages and in the heads of your fellow members.

What is the voltage across the battery terminals?

TQ

Thanks for the welcome. It's 12.65, checked with volt meter, seem to be getting good voltage everywhere. What does the status light on the internal ignition module represent? Thanks.

Taz

Thanks for the welcome. It's 12.65, checked with volt meter, seem to be getting good voltage everywhere. What does the status light on the internal ignition module represent? Thanks.

Taz

Check and see if you have power on the hot lead input on the coil(s).

Is the ignition module in the nose cone (cam cover)? What brand is it?

The engine is an EVO style, right?

TQ

Last edited:
Hi Taz, welcome to the HDTimeline forum...understand your frustration, but to help us troubleshoot we need a bit more information.
Is the bike stock...i.e. does it have an aftermarket EFI fueler or other recent mods that may have disturbed something under the seat during installation.:52:

Do you have diagnostic codes, or did anything recent just before the problem started or evidence it was coming on? Sometimes seeing what DOES work will give a clue. When you turn on the ignition all dash lights should lite as the self test goes thru it's paces. Do the headlights come on, turn signals work? When you hit the starter button, does the headlight dim slightly or nearly goes out...could be a weak battery unable to provide voltage for the ignition to fire. Clean all the thick cables and grounds at the battery, starter and various ground straps, then put dielectric grease on them and put every back together, and please keep us informed regarding your progress.:D

Yes, the ignition module is in the nose cone, it is a 110 Revtech internal ignition and the engine is an EVO style. It's a custom chopper with no diagnostic codes or dash lights. Everything comes on, nothing dims when I try to start it. I have cleaned and checked all connections with a volt meter, good to go. Just no fire.

Taz

Yes, the ignition module is in the nose cone, it is a 110 Revtech internal ignition and the engine is an EVO style. It's a custom chopper with no diagnostic codes or dash lights. Everything comes on, nothing dims when I try to start it. I have cleaned and checked all connections with a volt meter, good to go. Just no fire.

Taz

Should have asked this at the beginning, but has the engine ever run?

One coil or two?

Check the signal wires from the ignition module to the coil(s). Make sure there is good connection on the coil signal taps of the coil(s), and that the wires are not corroded or broken. If there is enough slack, you might cut the ends off, strip the insulation and reconnect. See if that works.

The green light is probably what you use to static time the module. When you crank it over, does it flash?

Here is what they should be, is this what you have?

Power = red
Front cylinder = white
Rear cylinder = blue
Voes is the others, I think green & yellow, or black, I don't remember & never run Voes switches.

That ignition is a Crane Hi-4 knock off.

But your wires may be a black and white wire and a blue wire a pink wire a brown wire and a violet wire coming from were the electronic ignition unit is at that makes 1 black/white 2 blue 3 pink 4 brown 5 violet the brown wire is the tack the violet wire is for the voe switch.

Do you have any info on the ignition system? Post a pix.

See how close this info is:

http://www.cranecams.com/pdf/90003200.pdf

TQ

Attachments

• Hi-4_Motorcycle_Ignition_Installation.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
yes the bike has ran great was running great .gassed it preety good to pass and thats when i lost fire it just died. thanks for the link .its simular to the picture but has only two dials and the whole cam cover has to come off to get to the back side for removal

yes the bike has ran great was running great .gassed it preety good to pass and thats when i lost fire it just died. thanks for the link .its simular to the picture but has only two dials and the whole cam cover has to come off to get to the back side for removal

OK, check pages 31-32 of the attached. Is that more like it?

This is not behind the logo plate on the outside edge of the nose cone? When you say the cam cover has to come off, you mean the whole nose cone?

TQ

Attachments

• craneMotorcycleCatalog.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 27
thanks so much bro for going thru all this to try and me. its really close to those but i guess revtech put thier own spin on them im gonna try and upload a pic

Back