free website stats program engine too rich | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

engine too rich

do you think this could be the answer?i do use the choke alot
Enricher Use Tip For Carbed Bikes - Harley Davidson Community

I use the enricher just to get the engine started, and then lock the throttle at around 1200-1500 rpm with the thumb screw on the throttle pushing the enricher all the way in.

I don't suggest riding with the enricher out regardless of what the Owner's Manual may say. This is dumping gas straight into the intake. If you have been running this way, you probably need to change the plugs and add a gas treatment for a few tankfuls to try and reduce the carbon deposits in the heads.

TQ

tucks, after reading through your posts I would suggest you take it to a mechanic that knows carbs,doesn't have to be an HD mechanic,some of the best carb tuners are metric mechanics and let them have a look.I think it will save you a lot of time and frustration and ultimately money because if you break something it will cost you more then an hour of their time! JMO

It could be over use of the enrichener, but I have to agree with what these guys are saying....you should take it to a mechanic this time. You should also get the Factory Service Manual, for your model the part number is 99482-92 and I would also suggest getting the Parts Catalog 99450-92. These will help give you an understanding of how the bike works. They cost a few bux around $50.00 each, but then you'll be able to make an informed decision if you want to tackle a job yourself, or hire a wrench.

It could be over use of the enrichener, but I have to agree with what these guys are saying....you should take it to a mechanic this time. You should also get the Factory Service Manual, for your model the part number is 99482-92 and I would also suggest getting the Parts Catalog 99450-92. These will help give you an understanding of how the bike works. They cost a few bux around $50.00 each, but then you'll be able to make an informed decision if you want to tackle a job yourself, or hire a wrench.

Very good advice from all above, tucks. The FSM is a must if you want to try and do your own diagnostics. Take your time and pay attention. Nobody was born with this knowledge. "Noonan, you can do it!" - Caddyshack

Ride safe,
Jammr

Tucks, Carburetors are not rocket science, BUT, they aren't for the fledgling mechanic either.
Black smoke out the exhaust is generally associated with a fuel problem...which in your case would be the carburetor.
#1...check your air filter and make sure it is clean and that you have no restriction.
#2.. check your air intake and make sure that everythjing is tight and leak free.
#3...once you start your bike with the enrichener on, allow it to warm up properly and slowly decrease the amount of enrichener (choke) as the temperature comes up. Once you reach operating temperature, you should not need any choke to have your engine performing properly.
If some enrichener is still required, then you can do a couple of things.
#1, you can run some carb/intake cleaner thru the system. This is easy enough. Just follow the directions on the can.
#2, adjust the carb as per the instructions given in the "factory service manual"
If you do this, then I would suggest that you have an experienced mechanic take a look at the carb for you to insure that it is done correctly.
This is where you may need to get into changing jets or, a general overhaul of the carb.

Back