free website stats program Engine Temps With And Without Lenale Cooling Fan | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine Temps With And Without Lenale Cooling Fan

Rocket J.

I just got an Infrared Thermometer for Fathers Day and thought I would put it to good use comparing my Electra Glide's engine temp readings both while using and not using the Lenale cooling fan. I have a regular daily route I take through a town with multiple stoplights and plan on getting a baseline average temperature first without using the fan and then getting an average temperature reading when using the fan. This will be on a stretch of city road with 15 traffic lights. When the fan is on it will be on for that entire stretch of road.

I've had the Lenale fan installed for some time now and haven't had any obvious signs of overheating, but I don't know if the fan actually keeps the bike cooler, or not. I am in the habit of switching the fan on at longer stops, but don't know how much it helps in cooling that hot V-twin.

To get consistent readings I'm thinking to aim the laser dot either at the base of the push rods or up near the top of the cylinder heads. If there is a better place to get temp readings while actually on the bike please let me know. My little instruction book with the thermometer suggest putting a bit of duct tale on highly reflective surfaces to get a better reading, but I think doing that would melt the tape and make a mess. I'll try it without doing that at first.

Since I've got the temp gun I can take temps at other places on the bike and at different conditions if anyone has any suggestions for information that they would want to know.

I'll post here with some info about the affect of the Lenale fan on engine temp later in the week after I gather some data. Smitty, you mentioned doing something like this, too. I did a search and didn't find anything so if I missed some past testing here please let me know.

I remember that thread, Dr. D. I contributed a couple of posts to it, but, nope. I was interested if anyone has actually taken temp readings both with and without using the fan to give actual numbers other than just the subjective feelings if the fan works or not. Now I'll certainly admit that Smitty's fan catching on fire provided some hard data..great pics of it, too.

Rocket; I think taking a reading at the exhaust ports in the f & r heads and the intake ports f & r would be good spots. Also one or two spots on the cylinders. I have a infrared thermometer, and have messed around, but never documented the temps. My therm. doesn't read off chrome or water surfaces very well, like your book suggested. I'm looking forward to your findings.

Thanks for the suggestions. I've only taken a very quick look at where I can point the laser while actually riding the Electra Glide. I'll take a closer look at being able to measure temps at the exhaust/intake. I'm thinking that I need to keep it simple and be consistent with taking the readings. It will probably be somewhere on the right side because of the left hand working the clutch. I probably need to make a laynard for the temp gun, because I can see the possibility of dropping it while also trying to ride in town.

Smitty may or may not be inclined to add more, but I remember that Mr. Lenale made good on his toasted fan and Smitty was feeling a good blast of hot air through the V of his cylinders..which is a good sign :)

I'm thinking of collecting associated data like outside temp (maybe heat index, too) and will note the mechanical state of my bike (oil type/when last changed). Any other pertinent data collection measures anyone can think of as being valuable to know would be appreciated.

Rocket; When I replied, I didn't consider that you would be taking the temps while in motion. Maybe the spark plug area would be simple. As long as you are at it, why not take temps at highway speeds, and in stop and go conditions. My oil temp. stays around 215 when moving, but shoots up in town. I wonder what the head temp is?
I'll be floating in the pool while you take the readings.

I've only taken a very quick look at where I can point the laser while actually riding the Electra Glide...........I probably need to make a laynard for the temp gun, because I can see the possibility of dropping it while also trying to ride in town.

I hate to sound like an old mother hen, but I can't be the only one that thinks this is a bad idea...to take infrared thermometer readings while riding, especially "in town"

I'm very interested in the outcome as I've been thinking of installing a Lenale Cooling Fan myself but I don't want to see someone get hurt collecting the data. I would think that taking the heat readings immediately after stopping would be sufficient.

Whatever you decide to do, be careful.

Back