Engine tapping noise

Discussion in 'Dyna Models' started by jeffreywatson, Dec 21, 2014.

1. jeffreywatson

jeffreywatson Member

I have 2009 Harley FXDFSE Fat Bob with the 110 motor. I bought it used about six months ago with around 12K miles on it. it seems to run great but I was curious about an engine noise. There is always a sound like tapping as if somone put baseball cards in the spokes. I would say it's valve lash but i was told they are self adjusting. It almost sounds like a toy electric train.

Should I be concerned or is that normal for a Harley ?

Thanks in Advance

2. Harttoo

Harttoo Senior Member

It is common to hear lifter noise.Sometimes it is a result of engine oil.My new bike had a lot of noise using Syn3.Changed to Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50 and noise is gone.

3. jeffreywatson

jeffreywatson Member

ok i will try that thanks

4. dbmg

dbmg Experienced Member

You are riding a bike with character. To have a silent Harley is to have one that is not running.

5. ultrat

ultrat Senior Member Contributor

I second the mobile one ,,,

6. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Check your exhaust flange nuts and torque them to 10 ft lbs just for grins

7. Jeff Klarich

Jeff Klarich Well-Known Member Contributor

Are you running synthetic oil? I found just the opposite of what has been posted. When I changed to synthetic (Mobil 1 20/50) from dino my top end got a little more noisey.

8. wazzle

wazzle Member

Mine was very noisy after switching to Amsoil 20w50. It quieted when using syn3

9. dolt

dolt Senior Member Contributor

Some motors make more noise than others; factory tolerances are the reason why as some valve trains are "tight" and some are not. Noise is also subjective; what is annoying to one is music to the ear to another. If the noise is truly valve lash, changing oil to a heavier weight can dampen the noise but it will not remove it. Try running a straight 50W conventional oil and if that doesn't diminish the noise, you can forget about changing oil as a solution. Adjustable pushrods that will allow you to put more preload on the lifters may be the ultimate solution.:D

10. Jack Klarich

Jack Klarich Expert Member

Very good advice here from dolt, if this does not quiet it down you may try different lifters with the adjustable push rods