free website stats program Engine tapping noise | Harley Davidson Forums

Engine tapping noise

I have 2009 Harley FXDFSE Fat Bob with the 110 motor. I bought it used about six months ago with around 12K miles on it. it seems to run great but I was curious about an engine noise. There is always a sound like tapping as if somone put baseball cards in the spokes. I would say it's valve lash but i was told they are self adjusting. It almost sounds like a toy electric train.

Should I be concerned or is that normal for a Harley ?

Thanks in Advance

It is common to hear lifter noise.Sometimes it is a result of engine oil.My new bike had a lot of noise using Syn3.Changed to Mobil1 Vtwin 20w50 and noise is gone.

You are riding a bike with character. To have a silent Harley is to have one that is not running.

Check your exhaust flange nuts and torque them to 10 ft lbs just for grins

Are you running synthetic oil? I found just the opposite of what has been posted. When I changed to synthetic (Mobil 1 20/50) from dino my top end got a little more noisey.

Some motors make more noise than others; factory tolerances are the reason why as some valve trains are "tight" and some are not. Noise is also subjective; what is annoying to one is music to the ear to another. If the noise is truly valve lash, changing oil to a heavier weight can dampen the noise but it will not remove it. Try running a straight 50W conventional oil and if that doesn't diminish the noise, you can forget about changing oil as a solution. Adjustable pushrods that will allow you to put more preload on the lifters may be the ultimate solution.:D

Some motors make more noise than others; factory tolerances are the reason why as some valve trains are "tight" and some are not. Noise is also subjective; what is annoying to one is music to the ear to another. If the noise is truly valve lash, changing oil to a heavier weight can dampen the noise but it will not remove it. Try running a straight 50W conventional oil and if that doesn't diminish the noise, you can forget about changing oil as a solution. Adjustable pushrods that will allow you to put more preload on the lifters may be the ultimate solution.:D

Very good advice here from dolt, if this does not quiet it down you may try different lifters with the adjustable push rods

Back